Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

should I seek urgent help for harmful intrusive thoughts?

(3 Posts)
blacktail Wed 12-Aug-15 11:52:08

Because I'm not going to act on them.

But My mind keeps repeating the same statement over and over again "I want to kill myself"

Thing is, I don't want to kill myself and I honestly won't, but it won't stop. Is this what people mean by 'hearing voices?'

I'm in a deep depression and GP suspects bipolar. He has referred me to primary care liaison who I'm seeing in a fortnight.

What help might there be in the meantime if this keeps getting worse as rapidly as it is?

NanaNina Wed 12-Aug-15 13:14:27

Can I ask if this is your first experience of mental health problems blacktail - I suffer from depression that can be severe but I don't have experiences of hearing voices, or intrusive thoughts. Well I do have intrusive thoughts of suicide (as in suicide ideation) thinking about it but knowing I'm not going to act on it, but I don't experience the thoughts as "hearing voices" - trouble is we are all different and our symptoms are likely to be different.

If your GP suspects bipolar I think he/she should be making an urgent referral to the CMHT or a consultant psychiatrist for a diagnosis and treatment. Primary care liaison sounds like mental health nurses at the GP practice - is that what it is? They will not be able to diagnose as this can only be done by a psychiatrist, but they can refer you to a psychiatrist.

Sorry can't help much. You could have a look at the MIND or RE-THINK websites.

blacktail Wed 12-Aug-15 16:49:11

Thanks for replying NanaNina, and for the links.

I've been diagnosed with depression for 15 years but it was present from being an early teen. About eight years ago I had what I now believe to be a manic episode (although while it was happening I thought I was just having a jolly thrilling adventure hmm ) with several subsequent depressive episodes for which I've been on fluoxetine. This latest episode is far more severe although I can still function. I have two small DC so have to!

I think MH services are so overloaded in my area that GP referrals for all but the most urgent cases are sent to this primary care liaison team to act as a kind of triage before referring to a psych.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now