Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Tips on having higher self esteem

(1 Post)
cakedup Mon 10-Aug-15 01:23:51

I have pretty low self esteem, am very self critical and sometimes feel worthless. Sometimes I am able to ignore it or rationalise it, but it's always there.

I've always felt that I'm 'stupid'. I am in my 40s and have just completed my degree, I thought that might help but if anything I've never felt more stupid. I got a 2:1 but was 2% away from getting a first. I know I should be proud of myself, a mature student and single parent for getting a 2:1 but instead I feel gutted for not having achieved a first.

I'm now looking for work and just don't have the confidence to apply for any of the graduate roles. I find the job descriptions really daunting, and I know i'm not very efficient, not great at multi tasking or picking up new concepts etc. So now I find myself looking at jobs that I would have applied for before the degree which defeats the whole point of it! I don't even want to go to my graduation because i feel like such a failure.

I recently had a chance to meet with someone who I wrote about in my dissertation but couldn't actually face talking to them in the end. I just knew I'd say something awkward and stupid.

Anyway, enough of the whinging, has anyone else had similar self esteem issues and has anything helped? Any books to recommend?

I just find it so self indulgent and a waste of life sitting here feeling shit about myself.

PS. It's not always about feeling stupid, I think that's just the theme at the moment. I've had body dysmorphia in the past for example.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now