Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anyone had antidepressants CAUSE migraines?

(2 Posts)
Euphemia Sat 01-Aug-15 13:38:42

I had to come off Citalopram last year as it was causing me up to three migraines a day, from maybe three a year previously.

I'm feeling the need of ADs again, but I'm scared to go back on them in case the migraines return. I also had to come off HRT this year because that was giving me migraines!

Are there any ADs known to definitely NOT cause migraines?!

cdwales Sat 01-Aug-15 14:26:52

This is something that you really do need to discuss with your GP as there are all sorts of potential interactions here! The migraines headaches should be followed up.
But re AD treatment - as a general rule I would say that ADs are a bit of a minefield because typically a GP starts a patient on a low dose of their favourite one and schedules a 6 week follow up appointment. If the patient is happy they leave it there or switch it. The fact is that it is not possible to predict which AD in what dosage will suit any patient - it is trial and error. Hence it depends on the patient making notes, reliably dosing and communicating with the GP. So do not be shy of going back - telephone appointments can be useful too - until you are happy.
Of course the waiting lists for psychotherapy can be years and the ADs (or the right one at the right dose) only provide a 'cushion' from the power of your emotions. They do not resolve problems though time can affect those of course! I am on my 4th type of AD since my mother died 5 years ago and have got it right - therapy two years ago gave me the technique of Mindfulness which has been useful see www.counselling-directory.org.uk/mindfulness.html
And time passes... All the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now