Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How ill do you need to be to be admitted to hospital

(21 Posts)
Shutthecurtains Mon 27-Jul-15 04:58:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

textfan Mon 27-Jul-15 05:11:42

KatyN Mon 27-Jul-15 05:18:25

If you are safe at home (from suicide) then I can't see them admitting (section ing) you. Even if you feel suicidal they may refer you tithe crisis team who support you at home.
However I think it's crucial you tell your gp the full story as they can support you and refer you to these teams as necessary. They can also prescribe some medication to take the edge off while you get back on your feet.
Hang in there. This won't be the situation forever
Kx

Shutthecurtains Mon 27-Jul-15 08:59:01

Shutthecurtains Mon 27-Jul-15 08:59:44

dontrunwithscissors Mon 27-Jul-15 13:39:24

IME, there are so few beds that you have to either be seen as a clear and definite danger to either hurting someone else or killing yourself. Having suicdial plans (eg I am going to killing myself by doing x) isn't necessarily enough. Sometimes you need to have actually attempted to kill yourself before being admitted.

Have yi been admitted before? Wards are generally noisy and chaotic places with some very sick (psychotic) and sometimes very scary people. The nurses are so run of their feet, you're luck to talk to someone for 5 mins. When I was last in, I tried to tell a nurse I was very close to hanging myself. His response was to apologise and said he would like to talk to me, but he's too busy. He came back with a diazepam and I was left on my own.

Not all wards are like this--but many, many are. I should add that thee nurses have almost always been lovely and caring. I'm not getting at them, but they're so desperately short staffed that they can barely keep people safe.

Smartleatherbag Mon 27-Jul-15 19:42:02

I've been admitted several times. You have to be a massively, massively big danger to yourself. Even then, the chances are slim and they chuck you out asap, even when you aren't ready. Tbh, I found it very traumatic on the ward, mainly due to horrible staff. I'd not go again.

Shutthecurtains Mon 27-Jul-15 20:13:31

AllTheFluffyAnimals Tue 28-Jul-15 01:46:49

One of my friends had been admitted before, lived alone and actually made an attempt that landed her in a+e. She asked to be admitted and they said there were no beds and sent her home with just two quick visits a day. She got through it, but I'm pretty sure it was just good luck that friends happened to be able to sit with her.

Shutthecurtains Thu 30-Jul-15 10:21:10

mawbroon Thu 30-Jul-15 10:27:06

We have a crisis centre here where you can go and stay overnight for a bit to get some space.

I have never used it, but have heard good things. Do you know if you have anything similar in your area?

TheoriginalLEM Thu 30-Jul-15 10:29:10

Counselling will help.As will medication. I find exercise also helps but have only recently been well enough to do this.

It sounds like your dr could do more to be fair. Why cant he/she refer you for counselling? You'll be seen quicker. Alsoif you have struggled with anxiety for a long time then it is not going to be better in just a week. Id go and ask for the medication.

Shutthecurtains Thu 30-Jul-15 11:50:58

PipAndPosey Thu 30-Jul-15 11:54:37

Well done for getting to the doctor. It's hard if you are articulate and "self aware" (as you definitely seem to be!) to be seen as someone desperately needing help. But I hope the counselling works out, and you find some strategies that work for you. I was admitted for several months, but this was due to acute postpartum psychosis.

TheoriginalLEM Thu 30-Jul-15 12:21:44

I do find that Bach's rescue remedy works pretty well, a few drops on the tongue.

Shutthecurtains Fri 31-Jul-15 13:35:49

HereInMyHead Fri 31-Jul-15 18:20:38

I can certainly relate to feeling like you have no edges! That is a very insightful way of putting it. I found that breathing exercises were very helpful when I felt catastrophic. I hope you find some peace soon xx

Anomia10 Sat 01-Aug-15 07:41:47

My daughter has been taken to A & E 13 times for suicidal behaviour. She was only admitted once and that was because we refused to have her home - we knew she was desperate to be admitted and kept safe. They discharged her asap, saying being an inpatient does not benefit people like her.

Anyway, one psychiatrist told her to take Phenergan, as an anti anxiety drug. It does not have the addiction problems of the benzodiazepines. At first it makes you very sleepy, but you develop a tolerance to that; and then it just works as an anti-anxiety drug.

Shutthecurtains Sat 01-Aug-15 14:10:08

Shutthecurtains Mon 03-Aug-15 21:01:54

Shutthecurtains Mon 03-Aug-15 21:02:23

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now