Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Has anybody been prescribed Setraline for emotional overeating?

(15 Posts)
SoleBizzzz Fri 24-Jul-15 13:12:09

Has this worked?

vociferous Fri 24-Jul-15 15:27:09

I think I need some Setraline. I do like my food. Always have done and always will do. Had a difficult upbringing myself and as a consequence have some minor mental health issues such as stress and depression from time to time. Have had CBT therapy a few years ago but nobody seemed to want to get to grips with the emotional overeating. Was always told that it was my choice and that I had to control what went into my body. On one visit to my GP I explained my situation and said that I am like a heroine addict except that I am addicted to food, you tell me that I shouldn't put the food into my mouth and should have control over my eating issues but would you be saying to a heroine addict that he needs to think before putting the needles into his arms? It's the same thing and I feel that it is a totally pointless thing to say to both of us. To be honest, nobody seems to give a foggest. Oh, well. In goes more calories.

SoleBizzzz Fri 24-Jul-15 15:31:43

No they don't know or care. Anorexics are taken seriously, the funding/help is available.

Setraline made me feel numb. I realised I had no highs or lows but still I overate!!

RonaldMcDonald Fri 24-Jul-15 15:50:20

Nope

But I know a lot of people who have had great results using the Dr Judith Beck <her father was a founder of the CBT movement and she herself is a consultant psychologist/psych> diet book and its workbook
i don't believe a medical approach will help tbh

vociferous Sat 25-Jul-15 18:13:19

Not heard of that one Ronald. I will have to take a look into it. Thanks for the recommendation.

honeyandfizz Sat 25-Jul-15 18:27:07

I am an emotional eater without doubt. I was put on sertraline back in May due to anxiety. I cannot say that it has affected my eating one way or the other to be honest. I have gained about 8lbs over this time but that is through over eating not the tablets.

Treeleaf Sun 26-Jul-15 00:58:19

Hello, 'Fraid I don't know about setraline, but I wanted to piggyback this thread to ask if any of you know if there is much talk on here about emotional overeating in general? I have a big E.O. problem (have done for years & years & years) but never found help... Are people talking about this? It would be so good to share a bit...

CarbeDiem Sun 26-Jul-15 01:30:07

I'm on it for depression and anxiety but I'm still emotionally over eating sometimes. I don't think it's the actual tablets stopping me from doing it more often but that I feel more in control of myself because the depression and anxiety is somewhat under control.
I like the numb - right now that's good for me.
Hope that makes sense, it did to me smile

IWantDogger Sun 26-Jul-15 02:45:10

There is a binge eating support thread tree which you might find helpful. Can't remember which topic it's in but if you search 'binge eating support' it should come up.

honeyandfizz Sun 26-Jul-15 06:59:58

It's under eating disorders in the mental health section

honeyandfizz Sun 26-Jul-15 07:00:48

Sorry I was wrong it's in the health section under eating disorders x

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sun 26-Jul-15 11:28:16

This is the 'Binge Eating Disorder' thread mentioned.

Do come and join us. Everyone is welcome.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/eating_disorders/2354540-Binge-Eating-Disorder-Support-3?

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sun 26-Jul-15 11:37:58

And to address your point...I was on a light dose of fluxotine for PND. I think it might have reduced to urge to binge a bit, but having since read Dr Fairburn & attended a NHS CBT group (also based on Fairburn) I feel strongly that one needs to understand why and to work on stopping the behaviour. I think it can help, but I think you need the other stuff as well.

SoleBizzzz Sun 26-Jul-15 12:48:21

Thank you everybody smile

Treeleaf Tue 28-Jul-15 01:12:57

Thanks very much for signposting the BE thread. I'll make my way over there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now