Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Worse before it gets better - fluoxetine-prozac

(4 Posts)
Elfinprincess Mon 20-Jul-15 09:23:23

I wonder if anyone here has advice or can tell me of their experience.

I took prozac prior to my periods for pmt. My periods have now become so far spaced apart (I don't have cos) and my mood is really flat. I get excited about eating but nothing else.

I thought perhaps I should take a small dose of fluoxetine every three days (that's what I do before my period to treat pmt, and it had worked). But now I have started to take them throughout my cycle (so regularly, one 20mg capsule every three days (I am told they have a half life of five days) my mood seems to have sunk... I am thinking about food a lot and feel very flat. I have started this continual dose (every three days) about two weeks ago.

I didn't want to take fluoxetine every day as they wipe out my sex drive and I am scared I will never get off them again.

I am not suicidal but I just feel I am existing, but since taking prozac I feel worse, I feel like this every day. I am already a bit of a compulsive overeater - binger and it has made this worse - because I feel so low- Help!

LumpyCustard69 Mon 20-Jul-15 16:59:22

I felt like a numb zombie on citalopram and was switched to fluoxetine.
I would go to your gp and discuss it in depth with them. There may be a far better way of dealing with your pmt.

Elfinprincess Mon 20-Jul-15 18:13:05

Hi Lumpy (:-))

I am also taking it now for low mood... although the low mood is worse, but better in the evenings.. I guess I will have to preserve.

Interesting that citalopram made you turn into a zombie, I find depression (what I think is depression.. maybe just tiredness!) makes me into a numb zombie. I watched things, I care about, I can see things happening but I feel no motivation to move or change my behaviour.

It's tough isn't it- knowing what the right answer is. I am presuming fluoxetine worked for you, if so, glad you found something in the end.

Fluoxetine worked for my pmt almost instantly..

LumpyCustard69 Sun 09-Aug-15 22:52:31

Hi. Sorry I haven't been back to thread!!!

My depression has always gone in ups and downs, and the fluoxetine seems to balance me somewhat, so that I can still feel good and bad emotions, just not to such extremes iyswim? Citalopram just numbed me to everything sad
Both of them took 3-4 weeks to settle into my system. I know some people that have tried a few different ones, so I guess it entirely depends on the person.
I have to say, my sex drive has not suffered from being on Fluoxetine, but did on Citalopram, so I guess that's different for each person too?

I hope you're doing ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now