Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

The stigma

(4 Posts)
textfan Fri 17-Jul-15 20:20:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chandelierswinger Sat 18-Jul-15 16:23:27

Lying makes you unsuitable for teaching; being open and accepting/requesting support for your health does not. It is far, far better for you to be honest from the start. The only issue will be your fitness to teach at the point at which you are going into school for placements, but if you have regular MHA meetings and counselling, you can take each placement as it comes. Best of luck op flowers

KittyandTeal Sat 18-Jul-15 16:43:22

I didn't have diagnosed mental health issues when I applied but I have to say since being in teaching I've been very open with my bipolar, anxiety and eating disorders and I've not faced any obvious stigma.

I'm not saying it's not there but I'm saying generally I like to think that teaching is a fairly open minded and supportive profession

textfan Sat 18-Jul-15 20:31:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now