Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Take anti-depressants now or wait?

(7 Posts)
mjmooseface Fri 17-Jul-15 11:24:37

Hello! First time posting on this board!

I have been referred to the Community Mental Health Team. I score high on the screening tests for anxiety, depression, ocd, adhd, asd/aspergers and borderline personality disorder. I've already had a course of counselling which lasted for 6 weeks and seemed to do more harm than good.

Because I score high for anxiety and depression, the Dr prescribed me Citalopram to take. But I'm wondering if I should start taking them now or wait to meet with someone from the CMHT, even though that could take a while and I have had the anxiety and depression symptoms for a looong time!

Indantherene Fri 17-Jul-15 17:07:08

I would take the ADs. They will help you feel more yourself so that the rest of the help can help.

dogood Fri 17-Jul-15 17:26:15

As with all antidepressants they take time to get into your system. So please don't wait until you see the CMHT, take them now if you've been prescribed them. They will take a good two weeks before they take any effect. I too take Citalopram and have done so for years, I feel so much better for it. Good luck and let us know how you get onsmile

mjmooseface Sun 19-Jul-15 13:46:38

Thank you both. I started them yesterday! I was singing and dancing in the kitchen, making my son laugh; went for an spontaneous early evening walk; the colours seemed brighter and didn't feel like I needed an afternoon nap! lol I did feel a bit nauseous and opted for cereal for dinner, though.

It's weird. I never thought I'd be dealing with stuff like this. CMHT, ad's, counselling... It just wasn't something ever talked about at home, mental health issues. But I'm glad I've started on this journey, because I want to feel better.

Thank you both for responding.

dogood Sun 19-Jul-15 14:18:02

Well done you!!!! You'll feel even better in a week or two, keep persevering. I myself have suffered anxiety and depression for years and felt like I constantly lived under a black cloud. Medication and talking helped me soooooo much. I would say you are on the absolute right track in getting better. Any time you want to share a good or bad day then please let us know. x

mjmooseface Mon 03-Aug-15 19:25:41

Thank you dogood. (Sorry for the delayed reply, btw!) I've kept on taking them. Over 2 weeks now. Feeling a bit low today but overall feeling better. I didn't realise just how big and dark the cloud was hanging over me until it started to ease slightly!

Can I ask... you mentioned that you've been taking ADs for years... do you think you will always be on them? And, do you drive? I don't. Yet. But I think the law just changed with regards to taking medication and driving? Do you know if you are allowed to drive whilst on ADs?

dogood Mon 03-Aug-15 21:55:33

Hi, MJmoose, yes I do drive, I've taken 40mg of Citalopram a day for five years now and been absolutely fine. I know when I first started taking them I did get really bad headaches for about a month and then things settled down. There is no law that says you can't drive if you are on ADs not to my knowledge anyway. Crikey there'd be nobody on the roads!! grin The only thing to be careful of when taking ADs is if you are taking any other meds that may interact with them. As for how long I will be on them I don't know. I saw my psychiatrist last month and she said to me at least for the next few years. But to be honest they don't effect my life in any negative way whatsoever. I feel well and happy, that is all that matters to me and if I have to take them forever so be it. No one would bat an eyelid at any other medications a person would take for the rest of their lives if it was to treat a lifelong illness would they?? ADs can take up to 2-4 weeks to take effect so you bang in the middle at the moment, you will feel even better soon. I assume you will have regular check ups with your GP to see how you are getting on??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now