Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Help, think I'm suffering from depression/anxiety

(4 Posts)
jayney09 Mon 13-Jul-15 16:56:57

Hi, sorry in advance for the long post, I have been feeling like I am suffering with depression/anxiety for a long time but don't no whether it's all in my head or I actually am. I am 27 years old, a single mother to 2 children, my eldest is severely disabled. I was in a domestic violence relationship for nearly 7 years which ended last year, slowly started to get my life back together and then he started causing problems a few weeks ago again after nothing from him for over a year. I don't have any close family, both my parents are dead, so I have no one to talk to about how I am feeling. I'm worried about going to doctors as I wouldn't know what to say, i find it hard to talk to people face to face. I did the test on the nhs website for depression and anxiety and the scores were high for both of them. How accurate are they? What would you say 1st time you see a doctor to discuss things? I really don't no what to do, any help or advice would be appreciated x

joopy79 Mon 13-Jul-15 21:50:18

Hi jayney, I'm sorry to hear you're feeling down. Go and see your doctor. They will be able to suggest treatment for you. Don't worry about what you're going to say, just tell your gp what you wrote in your OP.
In the meantime are you able to get out and do some exercise? Do you get a break from looking after the kids? Do you get any me time?

WingsofNylon Mon 13-Jul-15 21:55:07

When i went to my gp because I was concerned about anxiety I didn't get to say anything because I burst into tears and through much coaxing she got enough out of me to start talking to me which then relaxed me. If you are worried about what to say, perhaps you could print the results from the NHS online test? She will have something similar no doubt.

I was so glad that I did go, I still have very dark days (today was one of them) but getting her help and on some decent medication means a definately have more good days than bad.

You have been through a lot and by the sounds of it you dont have a family network to process emotions with and so it is understandable that you aren't sure what to say but the gp will guide the conversation with questions.

imwithspud Mon 13-Jul-15 22:54:04

Hi, so sorry to read that you're feeling this way. I can totally relate to some of the things you have talked about in your post, especially in regards to talking to people face to face. I posted a thread a few days ago asking how can I open up to my doctor about some issues I have been having in regards to my mental health. One piece of advice which I found helpful was to write my 'symptoms' down on a piece of paper and when I do eventually pluck the courage up to see a doctor to then take said piece of paper with me and give it to the doctor to read and go from there. The doctor can then have a read and proceed to ask you any relevant questions, rather than you having to find the words to bring up the subject in the first place if you see what I mean?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now