Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

over the counter sleeping tabs not working for me... what next?

(10 Posts)
biglips Thu 09-Jul-15 21:25:03

I went a packet of herbal nytol tabs.. 2 pn and nytol one a night 50mg.... At first took one then after the 5th night was taking 2. Didn't work. Do I need to try the next over the counter tabs or go to the docs for their prescribed tabs? As I'm looking for some to help me to go into a deep sleep as not been sleeping properly for years now and now I'm feeling burnt out

Just need a good night sleep(s)

Thanks

biglips Thu 09-Jul-15 21:27:36

* started herbal nytol, that didn't work and then started on nytol one a night and same again, didn't work

Lilybensmum1 Thu 09-Jul-15 21:32:48

Hi, I would go to GP I don't think any other over the counter meds will be better than nytol (not the herbal one) and I would only take the stated dose don't increase it. Nytol is an antihistamine so don't take more than the packet States.

Have you tried all the usual things? Avoid caffeine/alcohol before bed, don't watch TV in bed, have a bath and try to establish a strong routine, dark/quiet room. This is what the GP will say before prescribing meds as they are addictive. Good luck it's awful when you can't sleep.

biglips Thu 09-Jul-15 21:59:28

* started herbal nytol, that didn't work and then started on nytol one a night and same again, didn't work

biglips Thu 09-Jul-15 22:03:23

That's the thing... I can go asleep straight away with no problem. But when I wake up after 7 - 8 hrs sleep, im more knackered than I was last night but then I drag through the day. its financial stress.

biglips Thu 09-Jul-15 22:04:38

Thank you. I'll get onto the docs first thing tmrw x

jellybeans Thu 09-Jul-15 22:36:52

I had terrible insomnia and find Paul McKenna sleep mp3 helpful, hypnosis one. Also nature and rain sounds. Also sleep aid from Amazon is brilliant. It's a strong antihistamine.

windchimes23 Thu 09-Jul-15 22:51:20

Headspace sleep app is good. As for OTC Nytol does nothing for me.

Phenergan on the other hand knocks me out. Just check with pharmacist that it doesn't interact with anything else you take.

NotAJammyDodger Fri 10-Jul-15 09:04:41

Is this quite a recent thing?
Do you have anything worrying you (other than not being able to feel refreshed after a nights sleep grin) - you mentioned financial stress? Any kids clambering into your bed in the middle of the night disrupting your sleep, is it very light in your bedroom so if you 'wake up' you open your eyes and come out of a deep sleep etc?

Just wondered because it sounds like your not going off into a deep sleep and therefore not getting a refreshing sleep.

As Itisnt's recommends, Headspace is a good app for relaxing and diverting your attention away from current worries.

Another, recommendation especially for sleep is the Deep Sleep by Andrew Johnson App.

Anyway, hope your manage to get to see the Doc today.

NotAJammyDodger Fri 10-Jul-15 09:07:12

Sorry, just noticed you already said you haven't been sleeping properly for years blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now