Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anxiety through the roof - please help

(7 Posts)
manchestermummy Wed 08-Jul-15 12:29:02

I feel like the world is crashing about atm.

I'm unbearably stressed about work (not been in all week - leave/meetings/non-working day - so am stressed about my workload) and the pressure I'm under is unreal. Plus some of my colleagues aren't all that nice to me.

I have major health anxiety, namely if I'm ill who will look after the dc on my days off. I keep feeling sick and dizzy and can barely eat because I am so worried that feeling sick might be a stomach bug and if I eat I'll be sick.

I spend most days trying to talk myself out of having panic attacks. Several times a day.

I have a box of citalopram in the house - I've been like this before but haven't taken medication for over a year - but I feel like a complete failure. Certainly the GP thinks I've no reason to be stressed.

Please help. It's all going wrong.

DancingLadyEmoji Wed 08-Jul-15 13:51:08

Bumping this for you, hoping someone wiser than me has good advice

I think you might need a second opinion if your GP doesn't see a need for your stress. If you're not well enough to go to work, I'd get an emergency appt if I were you

I hope things improve

flowers

manchestermummy Wed 08-Jul-15 14:44:07

Thank you. I feel okay one minute and in a pit of anxious despair the next.

EmNetta Thu 09-Jul-15 00:28:44

I'm assuming that your GP prescribed citalopram a long while ago and that you stopped taking them - if this is true then it's not surprising that you're feeling so awful, and there is a solution.
Why not see your GP again, showing him/her this thread if it's easier for you, and ask for another prescription for anxiety/depression. There is help.

RockinHippy Thu 09-Jul-15 00:47:08

Go see your GP again as mentioned above, but you might want to try -

complete B Vit supplement
Plus a high dose of magnesium - it's easy to be deficient in these & they both help your body deal with stress,miso you will be more anxious if you are lacking
5htp sort of a natural antidepressant
Chamomile tea - but get the real loose herbal flower heads from a herbalist such as Neals a Yard - a cup of this with honey before bed will help you sleep

We use all of the above for my daughter & they work.

Also look into WHY you suffer with anxiety, it can sometimes have a physical cause, that is under diagnosed - Postural Orthastatic Tachycardia can be a cause & can be treat - it's a symptom of Ehlers Danlos & Hypermobility syndrome & causes something called Dysautonomia - basically, amongst other things, your flight or fight response is broken & so your body forgets how to react to,stress, causing runaway anxiety - my daughter has this, so do I, but her anxiety is worse.

If your heart/pulse rate is fast, especially when you stand up, after sitting or lying down, then this could be the cause & treating the cause, with help the anxiety more than just treating the symptoms

Look at POTSUK & SARS for more info

Your GP can do an "active stand test" but do print of the instructions from POtS UK for this, as they can do it wrong - they did mine wrong 3 times

Good luck

manchestermummy Thu 09-Jul-15 22:11:08

Thanks for the kind words. I'm feeling a little better than the other day. I had something big on at work and I got through it.

Re the citalopram. I started them in 2009 and was on and off them until about 12 months ago. In April ish of this year I started to feel like I couldn't manage any more so asked the GP for more. I got them, but the GP's reluctance to prescribe them makes me feel I shouldn't be taking them.

I hate feeking like this sad.

manchestermummy Thu 09-Jul-15 22:11:35

*feeling

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now