Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

my anxiety takes over

(8 Posts)
janice1st Sun 05-Jul-15 21:39:21

I have suffered with anxiety and panic attacks over the years they seem to come and go they are back really don't want to take prescribed medicines anyone got any advice I can beat this on my own. smile

Bellini12 Mon 06-Jul-15 17:58:26

Mine came back with a vengeance early this year. Worrying about family problems stopped me sleeping then the panic came back. It's been hideous. I went on an AD (reluctantly) which gave me no end of problems (I know they suit the majority but the side effects made me 100 times worse) so well done trying to do this naturally first.

I have done loads of CBT which is really paying off now, mindfulness and have been doing yoga. It's still a long road ahead but I'm getting there. Hope you do too. You can and you will.

janice1st Mon 06-Jul-15 20:31:03

Sorry tp hear you have been battling with this is terrible. Well done you for not giving up and trying all these things . What is CBT a lot of people mention this?

IceBeing Tue 07-Jul-15 10:56:33

cbt = cognitive behavioural therapy.

It is the idea that you reprogram your response to triggering thoughts by various practices.

An example I experienced was that I would finish a conversation and then suddenly panic about what I said and think the other person hated me. I would then worry about this and go over everything I said for ages afterwards.

Through CBT methods I essentially re-educated my brain such that while the same thought does still occur, I can simple accept it as a possibility and then ignore it. I don't get anxious or spend time worrying about it anymore.

CBT is spectacularly successful for many anxiety issues, far more so than medication - although sometimes medication is useful to allow the CBT to take hole in cases where people are too anxious to engage without it.

There are many very good self-help CBT based books for anxiety, so I would definitely suggest trying it by yourself if you feel you can.

myneighbourtotoro2 Tue 07-Jul-15 11:19:56

I have just downloaded an app called headspace because of this very problem .

It seems a lot better than any of the other apps I've seen for this sort of thing.
You should check it out if you're able to

Bellini12 Tue 07-Jul-15 16:17:26

I find the headspace app really helpful. I do 10 mins every night before bed. It chills me out too.

GooodMythicalMorning Tue 07-Jul-15 16:22:46

I find listening to hypnotherapy on youtube helps me relax even if it doesnt actually do anything about anxiety itself the relaxation helps but I feel it does. Yes headspace helps and cbt. Saying that though my anxiety has been sky high today.

janice1st Wed 08-Jul-15 16:27:55

Will definitely look at head space later this evening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now