Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Venlafaxine

(21 Posts)
WanderingTrolley1 Sat 04-Jul-15 08:36:01

I've been on Sertraline for 6 months - 150mg the past 3 months.

I am steadily declining. Had an appointment at CMHT yesterday where it suggested I wean off Sertraline by 50mg a week until down to 50mg, then add the Venlafaxine (37.5mg) for one week, then drop the Sertraline completely.

Does this sound like a reasonable wean period?

What are your experiences with the drug?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

ancientbuchanan Sat 04-Jul-15 08:47:39

Every weaning intro period is different.

I find it the only thing that works so Dar. I'm told it's hard to come off though.

ancientbuchanan Sat 04-Jul-15 08:48:01

Far not Dar.

windchimes23 Sat 04-Jul-15 10:53:07

It sounds a reasonable transition, but please look up Effexor withdrawal before starting it. I have got off it successfully but it's not like stopping other ADs.

I'd advise you to be cautious. It's a wonder drug for some and a horror for others. Obviously most of the Internet stories are just crazy, but as a normal person who came off it I had a very hard time.

BisleyBoy Sat 04-Jul-15 18:41:35

I personally didn't have a great time with venlafaxine, but everyone is different.
It made me feel very very nauseous and it really messed up my sleeping for a few days. The sleep improved after a week or so, but until it did I was a zombie. I also got night sweats that never went away, but tbh that didn't bother me. The reason I eventually came off the medication was because I couldn't tolerate the nausea.

captaincake Sat 04-Jul-15 19:26:38

I was on sertraline which didn't help my depression, then I went to venlafaxine and it was awful. I felt like a total zombie was even speaking really slowly it was like my whole body was working in slow motion. I felt dreadful. It was a bit like I had a weird flu. I then went on to escitalopram. It's been fine.

NanaNina Sat 04-Jul-15 19:29:15

Sounds a reasonable weaning period - Venlafaxine was no good for me - extreme nausea and insomnia BUT these drugs react differently for all of us and I think this is the main thing to remember. I haven't yet found any combination that gives me any kind of lasting improvement. I live in hopes.

windchimes23 Sat 04-Jul-15 20:19:17

I don't want to be dramatic but I was on 225mg and lay down on the Bakerloo line platform at Oxford Circus because it sent me into a sleepless zombie state.

When I got to my psych appointment at Harley Street he upped it to 300mg because it wasn't working.

Then I went manic. Approach with caution, seriously confused

Are you bipolar? Is there any chance you may be? Mood stabilisers may work better?

NotAJammyDodger Sun 05-Jul-15 12:10:53

I was switched into Sertraline when pregnant. Unfortunately, it did nothing for me.

I was on 300mg Venlafaxine and it really worked wonders for me. I reduced slowly down to 110mg without any problems over the course of 6 months. I didn't have any sleepiness etc even on the high dose. It did however impact on my libido. However a lot of ADs can do this. As Nana says everyone reacts differently.

Mimigolightly Mon 06-Jul-15 17:32:21

I switched from Fluoxitine to Venlafaxine some years ago. I was initially on 75mg per day and it made me feel awful for the first few days in terms of tiredness and nausea so I started taking it at night instead which worked well. I had to go up to 150mg and have been on it ever since. It's worked wonders for me but I make sure I take it at around the same time everyday as the withdrawal symptoms -even for a few hours - are horrible.

WanderingTrolley1 Wed 08-Jul-15 03:38:48

Thanks for your replies.

I'm having second thoughts about starting it - there are so many horror stories online - especially with regards to withdrawal.

Still taking my usual 150mg of Sertraline and don't know what to do sad

ItIsnt, I'm not bipolar as I never experience highs, just a constant low.

NotAJammyDodger Wed 08-Jul-15 08:45:36

Hi, Venlafaxine used to be the 'go to' Med for GPs if you had already a tried two other types of meds. For me it worked well.

However, it does have a bad press for withdrawing from. Neither my GP nor my PDoc mentioned it could be problematic when eventually trying to reduce. GP just follows the NICE guidance to try Venlafaxine if two others have failed (or certainly used to be the case).

Don't despair. Discuss your concerns with your GP. May be there is something else you could try first - there are a number of different classes of meds.

I know that even within the same class results can be different. I took Citalopram (SSRI) for years before switching to Sertaline (SSRI) due to pregnancy and Citalopram was much more effective for me (took for 4 years in the end) at that time.

Mimigolightly Wed 08-Jul-15 08:59:31

I know that there are a lot of horror stories on here about Venlafaxine, but it does really help some people. I don't think I'd be here if it wasn't for this drug as my depression is so bad.

As the pp says - do not despair, there is help out there.

mollyonthemove Wed 08-Jul-15 09:14:19

I have been on it for about 12 years on and off and am down to 75mg every other day. It really has worked for me and now things seem to be better ( although I am having a big down time at the moment) I would like to stop. I do notice if I go three days without one i feel a bit dizzy, but that aside I honestly believe it is the only thing that has even touched my depression.

windchimes23 Wed 08-Jul-15 20:50:00

If you are definitely not bipolar try it, give it 8 weeks. Withdrawal will not be bad after a short trial.

Ignore the horror stories, I got off it. It wasn't pleasant but it's doable with lots of vitamins, anti histamines for sleep, exercise and tons of water to flush your system. I was able to function while withdrawing.

It really is a wonder drug for some and it can definitely break a major depression.

I was unlucky with it, but the internet only has the horror stories, those who find success don't feel the need to comment.

Branleuse Wed 08-Jul-15 20:51:32

it worked pretty well for me. I came off it about 6 months ago

Wileycoyote Wed 08-Jul-15 22:49:36

I once gave it a short trial (~6 weeks? )and it was no problem to come off. It made me a bit speedy and strangely more assertive.

WanderingTrolley1 Tue 14-Jul-15 12:27:45

Thanks for your responses.

I started the wean period (from 150mg to 100mg) on Saturday night.

I don't feel too bad, just excessively tired - conking out by 8:30pm!

I'll see how the drop to 50mg goes this weekend.

I'm still unsure about starting the Venlafaxine and wonder if I should stop the Sertraline and see what happens...

NotAJammyDodger Tue 14-Jul-15 12:36:05

Hi Wandering
Continuing to withdraw from Sertaline and not taking any other AD is not a good plan. Please see your GP and discuss with them.

winterland Tue 21-Jul-15 14:40:14

I'm just coming off venlafaxine now. Was on 3 x 75mg per day. The withdrawal has been absolutely horrendous. Like I'm mad. The rage, the crying. Awful. I'm now on bupropion and so far I feel so much better

Pandora37 Thu 23-Jul-15 00:19:31

I've been on venlafaxine for 4 weeks and so far have had no side effects that I've noticed, other than a bit of reduced libido but I've had that on other ADs as well. I switched from fluoxetine which I lost loads of weight on and completely lost my appetite. It still hasn't fully come back but I understand venlafaxine can make you feel like that as well.

Obviously it's very early days but I'm starting to feel an awful lot better than I was. Haven't had any terrible lows at all yet. Am starting to enjoy life a bit more and don't feel so anxious all the time. I'm only on 75mg though which is a low dose. I think I'm going to stay on this dose for now and see how I go and move up if I feel I need to. I'd recommend you giving it a go. The horror stories are horrendous but they're often from people who have been on it for a long time and on a high dose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now