Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Citalopram and loss of sex drive anyone?

(3 Posts)
GinBunny Thu 02-Jul-15 23:57:53

I've been taking Citalopram for 3 years now and have gone from loving sex and having amazing orgasms to not interested at all. Poor DH wants to "catch up" at the weekend and I couldn't be less interested. I feel so bad for him that our intimacy has gone, but I do miss it too. I can't even ahem pleasure myself anymore, not that I want to but I did try last weekend in the hope it would maybe kick start some feelings. It's affecting my relationship with DH because he thinks I don't fancy him anymore, such a cliche but it's not him - it's me!

NotAJammyDodger Fri 03-Jul-15 11:44:18

My DH and I went two years without sex. I just wasn't interested, and when I tried I just couldn't orgasm, even using a vibrator.grin. I think it important to explain to your partner how you feel, as I know my DH was also confused at my lack of interest.

My GP was really helpful and suggested that we start small, sharing some brief intimate cuddles and stoking each other rather than put pressure on going to bed and trying to have sex. For example, this could be whilst we were watching TV together. And then build up from there.

ADs are know for loss of libido but I do think it varies accordingly to which one your taking. Ironically, I took Citalopram 40mg for two years and it didn't affect me at all. Unfortunately, for other reasons, I was switched to Venlafaxine and Mirtzapine and my sex drive went off the cliff. (I'm working my way down the dosage with my GP for this exact reason, but I also don't want to relapse either.)

Perhaps go back to your doctor and discuss with them. May be if you tried another AD?

GinBunny Fri 03-Jul-15 13:39:03

Thanks Not

In all other ways Citalopram is perfect for me, I feel so normal and could happily stay on them forever.

I will speak to my GP next time I go. And I will speak to DH. I have told him before but it doesn't make it any easier for him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now