Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Wanting to come off Sertraline

(7 Posts)
twiglet59 Sun 28-Jun-15 08:51:49

I have been on Sertraline for over a year now. Initially, I was on 50mg then 100mg then 150mg. I cut down to 100mg as 150mg was making me naseous. About 3 months ago I cut down from 100mg to 50mg, which wasn't too bad slight anxiety and dizziness, but a lot better than I expected. I went to GP 2 weeks ago and he suggested that I cut down to 25mg for 2 weeks and then come off it. I am panicking about doing it because I am frightened I won't cope. The GP also said that 50mg is a very low dosage so am hoping I will hardly notice it. Just wondering what other MN's experiences of this may be.

Haily111 Sun 28-Jun-15 08:59:32

Hello, i have been on sertraline for about 4 years now. It has been 50mg all the time. May I ask why you want to come off it? Xx

twiglet59 Sun 28-Jun-15 09:31:50

Hello Haily111 I find it makes me feel more tired than I normally am. I have no sex drive (it wasn't great before grin. I have also put on a bit more weight and was hoping it might shift. Also, have managed to cut down from 100mg successfully. I want to real proper emotion again (which sounds a bit cheesy). It makes me feel flat I find it hard to cry. Do you want to stay on it?x

mrsdavidbowie Sun 28-Jun-15 09:39:21

Dd has been on it a year and wants to come off it due to weight fain. She's put on a stone.
Its her decision but I would prefer her to remain on, due to going to uni.

twiglet59 Sun 28-Jun-15 09:41:58

Doesn't sound like a good time to come off it when you have a big event coming up. Has she tried cutting down yet and talking to GP about it?

Haily111 Sun 28-Jun-15 12:04:18

For me i will probably be on it life long. It keeps my anxiety at bay but also keeps my depression under control. Neither of which i could cope with, i have successfully had two dc's whilst being on it tooxx

twiglet59 Mon 29-Jun-15 09:58:00

Hello Haily111 if you're ok with it and it's working for you that's good and well done for bringing up two dc's (that's never an easy job even without meds). It's ironic but I had such a bad afternoon/evening yesterday, which has made me re-think. I am not going to do it at the moment. I injured my back two weeks ago and have been told I have a prolapsed disc and then stupidly fell onto my back last Tuesday hanging the washing out sad. So have been in a lot of pain and off from work. The Dr has signed me off for another two weeks from last Wednesday and was thinking that I should use the time to come off of them. I like to exercise a lot it helps with the anxiety. So I am going to do it when I am well enough to exercise again. xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now