Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Should I tell my boss that my job is making me ill?

(2 Posts)
doubleyellowline Fri 26-Jun-15 08:03:53

My job is pretty stressful at the best of times. Now I'm being investigated for something......Its just all too much. Between feeling like I'm about to have a panic attack to spending hours on the loo with an upset stomach and even having hallucinations I honestly think I'm cracking up.
I want to hand my notice in and my family have encouraged me to because this has begun to effect every aspect of my life but I'm scared that it will influence the investigation and I'm going to be sacked.

I can't cope with it all and the prospect of going back there now makes me want to vomit.

NotAJammyDodger Fri 26-Jun-15 10:13:38

Sorry to hear that you are in this situation. You could go to your GP and get signed off for the stress associated with the investigation as you are clear that you can't be at work at the moment.

You say that you are being investigated however before any employer could sack you they would have to move from investigation stage to a disciplinary stage. The latter would involve asking you attend a disciplinary hearing.

Are you a member of any trade union that could help you? You could resign but TBH without knowing a little more about the employment sector you work in and what is being investigated it hard to give any thoughts on. Have you been with your employer for more than 1 year?

If you work in the private sector, and the investigation is not for something criminal (or involves others being investigated), then your resignation will end your employer's investigation - as you will have quit there is nothing more that any disciplinary action could do as employment has been terminated.

Employer references are usually very limited nowadays to only confirming employment dates and position. Depending on the circumstances of the investigation and your employment circumstances you might want to see an employment law specialist - a number offer free initial consultations nowadays. They can also discuss any other exit options which may be relevant (e.g. a compromise agreement, an agreed upon reference etc).

Either way, sick leave would give you some breathing space to decide what to do.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: