Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Tingling in hands/ feet plus cold/burning sensation really anxiety

(9 Posts)
DODSY1477 Thu 25-Jun-15 21:53:33

Hi I have just returned from mat leave and also needed a scan to check my ovaries which were all fine. However I got my self in a really anxious state whilst waiting to have the scAn it was all I could think about. During this time I developed pins & needles/ buzzing sensation in hands / feet and also the strange / burning/ cold sensation that moves around body. Neither is there all the time and gets worse when I think about it. It has not gone even tho dr said ovaries ok. Dr did blood tests for all the usual ruling out most stuff and said it was anxiety. All though I am trying to believe him I am also worried he may have it wrong and that makes me even more anxious. Just wondered if anyone else had similar. Really need to know I'm not the only one

WhispersOfWickedness Thu 25-Jun-15 21:58:08

It does sound like anxiety to me, I get those symptoms too. I am currently undergoing CBT and the therapist explained those symptoms as being due to a lack of oxygen in the extremities because of shallow breathing which is very common with anxiety.

Tinfoiled Thu 25-Jun-15 22:04:05

Yes what you are describing are the classic physical effects of anxiety. It's down to your nervous system over-producing adrenaline and causing blood to be diverted away from your extremities as you go into 'fight or flight' mode - this causes the tingling sensation in your hands and feet and can also cause the hot/cold feeling. Although it all feels really horrible, the very worst that could happen would be a panic attack (which is obviously not good!) but you wouldn't have a heart attack for instance. www.getselfhelp.co.uk/ this is a good website for self help solutions.

DODSY1477 Thu 25-Jun-15 22:10:30

Thank u so much for replying so quickly. It helps knowing I am not the only one when I tell people they think it's weird. Do u have them everyday have they got better with therapy ? Did you take any antidepressant or anxiety drugs. Dr offered but I said not yet wondering if I should?

WhispersOfWickedness Fri 26-Jun-15 06:36:53

I am finding CBT really really helpful, I am about halfway through a set of 12 sessions and my anxiety has really reduced smile
I have also got propranolol for if I have to go into a really stressful situation, it is a beta blocker and as far as I can understand, it reduces your blood pressure and stops your heart racing.

NotAJammyDodger Fri 26-Jun-15 10:43:49

As whispers suggested taking Proprananol might help, and would be quicker to access than therapy in the short term. I think it also works on counteracting the release of adrenaline (which makes you shake).

It's often taken by actors and musicians to prevent stage fright. Also it is non addictive and the dosage (usually 10-20mg PRN) isn't high as for those taking it for other medical conditions. Doctors don't usually have a problem with prescribing unless you have another pre-existing condition that would preclude you taking it. Also I have not heard of any horrendous side effects on this site by others taking it.

The other med often prescribed is diazepam (Valium). This is addictive so isn't (usually) prescribed for longterm day in day out use. Diazepam makes you feel more relaxed (a bit like drinking a glass of champagne) and chilled out. For me it doesn't not effect my coginative functions. Initial dosages are between 2-5mg PRN (i.e take as and when needed).

If you have another bought of anxiety I would see my GP and go with getting some Proprananol as PRN. You also would lose nothing by getting a GP referral for CBT therapy at the same time (as usually there is waiting list).

Don't worry, there are options to help you flowers

Strawberry25 Sun 28-Jun-15 23:36:38

Hi, I am currently suffering from tingling in my hands and arms as I am typing this to you and was not sure what it was. I am beginning to think that I am suffering from something like MS which is attacking the nervous system (hypercondriac I know) but know that it is probably due to my anxiety / depression. I am in an unhappy marriage that I am trying to find the strength to leave but my husband thinks he is clever and I am scared of losing my kids to him (which he never wanted in the first place). Last year I did CBT which was helpful to talk about problems but was only allowed 20 sessions so now waiting to see a councellor, I have had my initial assessment and was told I have depression and anxiety. GP has given me a prescription for Sertraline but I dont want to take it due to side effects and I cant be feeling ill from it as need to look after my children (cant take beta blockers due to asthama). I'm glad to hear that I am not going mad and not the only one with these physical symptoms. Good luck.

DODSY1477 Tue 30-Jun-15 10:00:23

Hi strawberry25

I understand your fear re MS but the Dr I saw explained that MS doesn't present with tingling in hands and feet. It's normally in just one nerve path way lasts a short time then goes away. With anxiety like ours it hangs around. I still find it hard to think it's just about anxiety, but what I have to keep telling myself is that the symptoms are really just not causes organically just psychologically .

SquarePeggyLou Tue 30-Jun-15 22:15:02

It's also to do with carbon dioxide levels, if you are not breathing properly it messes up your levels and that causes the tingling, at least that's what I've been told. Breathing into a paper bag (not plastic!) is supposed to help but I have no idea why.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now