Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Post natal MH yet to settle

(2 Posts)
fanciesdefrancais Thu 25-Jun-15 20:45:51

So, I don't want to drip feed, but as with all things MH, it's complicated.

Long and short: I Have been on one pill or another most of my adult life. I fell pg with DS v quickly after coming off it. I experienced severe mood swings, anxiety and periodic bouts of depression while pg. I developed significant post-natal anxiety/depression thereafter, linked to a semi-rational fear of infant mortality (lightening has struck my family repeatedly). Same again with DD, shortly thereafter. I had a pretty traumatic birth which meant surgery after I stopped b/fing. I went back to work shortly after that - v melodramatic but it has been like every heartbreak and bereavement I've ever had, rolled into one x zillion. Every. Day. Add to that that I am the sole earner and have a challenging/stressful job and pull v long hours quite often (not that DH doesn't, of course!).

I've noticed that everything is a million times worse during the 7-10 days before my period - not sure if it's linked.

I basically need a coping strategy as DD is now 18 months and I really need everything to settle down.

I've had some positive results with self-hypnosis and home grown CBT and my DH is as supportive as he can possibly be considering that he can't really understand how I feel and I am, at times, completely unrecognisable from the me I once was.

I'm thinking: back on the pill, even though I don't need it for contraception? Or an anti-d like lofepramine, which apparently assists with anxiety too?

I feel like I just need a bit of relief to get myhead together. I'm high functioning - just feel indescribably terrible.

Sorry for length and the fact that I may have to post and run as lots going on here tonight (as always).

Anyone experienced similar? If so, what helped you? Are my pill/anti-d ideas stupid?

I have v little faith in GP coming to my rescue unless I suggest a solution...

NotAJammyDodger Fri 26-Jun-15 11:45:28

I would write a list of your key concerns (e.g. Anxiety, mood swings , worse pre-period etc) and see if I could see another GP in your practice. Unfortunately, the GP is the gatekeeper to other services such as therapy as well as meds.

For each concern think about whether:
- any family history of mental health issues or other significant health concerns (e.g. Thyroid problem, diabetes etc)
- you want medical checks done (blood test) to rule out other medical causes (thyroid problem, vitamin deficiency, coeliac disease, diet, sugar levels, hormone imbalance etc),
- you want mental health medications (antidepressants, anti anxiety tablets)
- you want therapy (or both meds and therapy)

Might help you steer your outcome with the GP better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now