Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Please Do you recognise these symptoms?

(5 Posts)
Etsyqueen Wed 24-Jun-15 14:18:39

Ds10 had an incident at school last week where he was overcome with feelings of nausea and had to come home. However I spoke to staff who present today and they were particularly shocked at what happened. One teacher described ds in foetal postition 'rocking backwards and forwards' whilst shaking at the same time.

When I asked ds about this he said, at that time he could 'hear' blood rushing through his brain into his veins and fingers, he could hear his heartbeat and his pulse and it was loud and deafning, he could also feel himself shaking.

Dshas underlying health issues which are being treated which I can't disclose here but this is the first time anything like this has happened with what's been described.

So does anybody have any idea what this might be?

bettysviolin Wed 24-Jun-15 14:25:45

Not had first hand experience of it, but a close friend of mine started having panic attacks when she was in her forties and they sounded like that. She described them and they were amazingly physical - that roaring of blood etc.

He's 10. Could he be anxious about Sats or moving to another school next year? Could his underlying health issues be contributing to anxiety?

But it's definitely worth checking with GP in case it was a form of seizure. Was he conscious at the time?

Etsyqueen Wed 24-Jun-15 14:49:20

Thank you betty yes he was conscious. It sounds dreadful and I'm quite frightened. How is your friend? From what Google tells me it does sound like a panic attack. My poor baby sad

bettysviolin Thu 25-Jun-15 11:21:06

She's fine. But she changed her life around (got divorced, moved back to our home town surrounded by lovely friends, got a dog,) and basically made the changes she needed to make. Children don't have that option, but you could at least run through with him all the things that might be making him anxious and see whether you can get rid of as much stress as possible for him.

mammabmamma Tue 30-Jun-15 13:58:57

Hi,

It does sound like a panic attack, but I used to have all those symptoms as part of fainting (the rocking was more of going round in a circle) could That make sense with regards to his physical problems?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now