Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Dp thinks I'm milking it

(5 Posts)
Sisterelephant Wed 17-Jun-15 09:15:03

I have a ds who is 2 and I'm 7 mo pregnant with ds2. I suffered with PND after my son received therapy which was brilliant. I'm still seeing a counsellor to deal with my anxiety about having baby number 2 and so far it's helping. During a conversation with Dp about getting someone to look after ds during my appointment, he blurted out that he doesn't understand why I'm going, thinks there's nothing wrong with me and that I am milking it!! He said he doesn't understand why we have children if I'm depressed. I left the house and haven't spoken to him since, I'm angry, upset and shocked that he has this attitude as he appeared supportive when I first opened up to him.

I feel like I have to prove how I'm feeling to him and convince him to believe me, he's supposed to be supporting me.

Not sure what I'm asking, just upset and feel even more alone.

Sisterelephant Wed 17-Jun-15 09:16:00

Sorry if this isn't the right place

Hullygully Wed 17-Jun-15 09:16:03

Make an appointment for him to meet the counsellor and gain some understanding.

Or shoot him.

Squirrel05 Wed 17-Jun-15 21:44:15

Hi Sisterelephant, some people just don't understand mental health issues. if you're finding the therapy helpful, that's really all that matters.
Its frustrating and upsetting when people who should be supportive minimize our feelings but sadly its not all that rare. I get on well with my family normally, but the people I'm closest to don't understand mental health issues or why people seek therapy and/or medication. No matter how much you try to explain it, they don't understand it. I'm sure they think I'm making a big deal out of nothing and I know I've disappointed a close relative by taking medication, but quite frankly, I'm finding it helpful right now. I value my emotional wellbeing over their disappointment or negative opinions.
I think Hully's suggestion of getting your DP to speak to the counsellor could be useful if DP agrees with that, but he has to be open to consider your point of view rather than just clinging to his.
Whatever DP or anyone else says, don't stop counselling if you find it helpful. You're the one who knows yourself best and knows what you need.

Sisterelephant Wed 17-Jun-15 23:16:28

Thanks for your reply squirrel you are right. The counselling is really helpful and is doing me good so I won't stop it, he can think what he likes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now