Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Really upset about possible borderline diagnosis

(5 Posts)
BisleyBoy Sun 14-Jun-15 19:37:53

Last week my psych discussed the possibility of my having borderline personality disorder. I am so upset by this and don't really know what to do. I've been crying about it all weekend. I feel that it's not the correct diagnosis, and I just feel so crap about it all. I feel like he's saying I'm somehow wrong or bad and that I'm somehow less of a person. I haven't been formally diagnosed yet, but I'm afraid that it's only a matter of time.

EauRouge Thu 18-Jun-15 09:13:15

Hello smile

What are your reasons for not thinking it fits? I was told by a psych nurse that I had possible BPD. I got the impression that they didn't know what to do with me so they just wanted to label me with the next most common thing on the list after anxiety and depression. Turns out I do not have BPD, which was no surprise to me because I barely fit any of the criteria.

I don't think BPD would make you less of a person, you will find lots of support on here (there might even be a BPD thread). But if you think it doesn't fit then there's nothing wrong with telling the psych why you think he is wrong.

BisleyBoy Thu 18-Jun-15 13:21:37

Thanks for replying. smile
I don't really think I fit the criteria, really. He seems to be basing it on the fact that we used to get on very well and now we seem to be in a dynamic where we react very strongly to each other. It's because from our very first meeting, he seems to want to please me in some way and after a while that starts to irritate me. I don't think he's bad or evil, I just find that behaviour unnerving. He also said one thing that makes him think I have it are his feelings towards me which appear to range from being very happy around me, to anger.

EauRouge Thu 18-Jun-15 13:42:16

I don't think getting wound up by someone means you have BPD confused I get pissed off with people all the time. I'm sure he must have other reasons too, do you feel OK about asking what they are? If you think there is something to explain the reason why you feel the way you do (sorry, I have not read any of your posts before so don't know the full story), maybe you could do some reading up on what else it might be.

LobsterQuadrille Sat 20-Jun-15 10:29:54

I got the impression that they didn't know what to do with me so they just wanted to label me with the next most common thing on the list after anxiety and depression.

I could not agree more with the above comment from Eau. Exactly the same thing happened to me and I don't think that I have it either - I did an on-line quiz on it some time after this informal "diagnosis" and came out as definitely not BPD although, to be honest, I wouldn't really have minded if I had. People in scientific professions often like to have boxes and labels - in fact, I suppose we all do to a degree - and once they've discounted bipolar and depression, BPD is a bit of a catch-all.

Please don't be upset about it - even if you were BPD, it certainly doesn't mean that you are bad or wrong in any way at all. Many people with BPD are highly articulate, creative and intelligent. Hope you are feeling better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now