Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anyone taking/taken Promethazine?

(7 Posts)
Oldisthenewblack Fri 12-Jun-15 23:30:00

I've just been given some Promethazine by my GP. Apparently this can be used on an 'as and when' basis. I've suffered from dreadful anxiety for a long time and have always managed without any medication for this. I had major concerns abouts side effects, etc, but after talking to a psychiatric nurse last year, found out that there are some medications that you can just take when you need it.

So, I'm here to ask if anyone has any experience with this medication? I was rather taken aback when I googled it and found most of the references referred to it as an anti-histamine!

Would be great to hear anyone else's experiences with this. Thanks in advance.

MistletoeBUTNOwine Fri 12-Jun-15 23:30:59

It's also used to treat morning sickness in pregnancy smile

Oldisthenewblack Sat 13-Jun-15 13:07:04

I'm such an idiot - I think it was actually PROMAZINE! May have to start a new thread....

Thanks!

Butterchunks Sat 13-Jun-15 13:14:19

What you have been given is the same as sominex, an over the counter sleep aid. Like Nytol (which is diphenhydramine) it is an anti histamine but they both cause drowsiness and are really useful as sleep aids. I've tried every kind of hypnotic that can be prescribed by a gp and found that nothing works for me as well as these anti histamine based ones (and there is no need for prescription). You can also get various own brand versions which are cheaper that paying for prescription/name brand sleep aids.

pharmacists generally warn against long term use, I found that my tolerance went up after a while and had to take multiple doses to get the same effect (which isn't good but needs must and all).

I hope they are helpful for you.

Butterchunks Sat 13-Jun-15 13:15:46

Ignore me then, different drug. grin Good luck with them OP

Enjoyingtheattention Sat 13-Jun-15 23:25:39

Old, it is probably promethazine that you have been prescribed. I work in a mental health team and our psychiatrist prescribes it as an aid to anxiety/ sleep issues.

mammabmamma Sun 14-Jun-15 16:28:37

Yep, Promethazine is an antihistamine. It's brilliant!! It helps my anxieties and helps me sleep. It's not addictive, doesn't have many side effects and is easy on the body. I have severe mental health problems and it helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now