Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Away from home - anxiety - any suggestions?

(5 Posts)
AccidentalAnarchist Wed 10-Jun-15 15:31:36

Hi, I've recently been re-diagnosed with depression and anxiety and have been on Prozac around 3 weeks. I'm away with work and have suddenly started getting major anxiety. I have no diazepam or anything like that with me.
Can anyone suggest anything to help? Could I take some calms or rescue remedy or is that a no-no with fluoxetine? Any quick responses hugely appreciated

windchimes23 Wed 10-Jun-15 20:49:11

Headspace app?

It works for me, sounds like bs but does calm you down. First 10 sessions are free.

Other than that anything that works on GABA receptors, dark chocolate, small glass of red wine?

You can get Promethazine OTC which can chill you out and help you sleep. Brand name is Phenergan.

HTH.

windchimes23 Wed 10-Jun-15 20:51:32

Speak to pharmacist before buying it though!

NotAJammyDodger Fri 12-Jun-15 08:53:10

Hi Accidental, hopefully your anxiety will ease once the ADs take effect which can take up to 4 weeks. If your anxiety is only recent then there is a strong possibility it may reduce quite considerably.

If OTC options don't work, and you are still having major anxiety I would go back to your GP. Diazepam is very good but GPs generally won't prescribe for long periods as it is addictive, so is only really a short term help.

The other common med prescribed is Proprananol which helps with any shaking. It's a beta blocker and often used by actors and musicians pre performances to stop nerves.

If you see your GP you could also discuss therapeutic options that may help.

AccidentalAnarchist Sat 13-Jun-15 11:36:08

Thank you for your help. I'm back at the doctor next week for medication review. I will ask for a small amount of 'emergency' diazepam and also ask for alternative solutions when the anxiety kicks in. I'm already feeling broadly 'better' than I was prior to the ADs, but still get some random anxiety attacks which I could do with some support with I think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now