Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Bipolar?

(2 Posts)
Lilypad15 Sun 07-Jun-15 23:10:50

I suffer with depression and anxiety and have done for a long time. Usually I am fairly good at handling it. However lately I have noticed a huge change in my behaviour. I can't control my emotions at all. One minute I can be happy as anything, elated even, ridiculously cheerful all laughing and joking and then it's like a switch flicks on and I get really low and upset and frustrated and angry and I can't stop myself. Last night I had a lovely time with friends, came home with my partner and carried on the nice night. Then he said something or something happened, nothing major enough for me to even really remember, and all of a sudden I just had this switch flick and I started throwing stuff at the wall and shoved a wooden desk over onto the floor.

I'm not an angry natured person. I used to be so laid back but now anything and everything seems to trigger me. I also have a huge problem spending money, I impulse buy ridiculously even though I know I can't afford it. But when I'm feeling severely depressed I buy things to try and make myself feel better.

I don't know if any of this points to bipolar tendencies. I don't know much about it other than it's an experience of extreme highs to extreme lows and back again. I also know that impulse buying is a symptom of bipolar disorder. But how do you differentiate between that and just being moody?

dontrunwithscissors Mon 08-Jun-15 14:19:04

It's difficult, but bipolar episodes of high/low mood tend to be longer lasting. At least days and more commonly weeks/months. It's unusual for someone to switch so quickly (although there is ultradian rapid cycling bipolar, but it's relatively unusual.). Your best bet is to speak to your GP about your concerns and ask for a referral to a psychiatrist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now