Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Came off Citalopram, am now so low it's frightening me

(18 Posts)
sweetkitty Sat 30-May-15 21:39:50

Don't know where else to write this. I've been on citalopram for years a few months ago I decided to come off them, did it really slowly, 40/30 for 2 weeks, 30 for 2 weeks, 30/20, etc now I am so low and so angry.

I have no patience with the DC at all, I'm shouting at them all the time, same with DH, I just feel so detached from them, I don't want to get out of bed in the morning, go anywhere, etc. I am weepy and so s I'm feeling so bad about how I am with the DC. It's as if I just can't be bothered with them or life in general. I know I need to go I have bad anxiety as well hmmback to the
GP and get back on ADs I know this, I felt the citalopram wasn't working anymore but obviously it was do I ask for citalopram or try something else ive been on Prozac in the past.

sweetkitty Sat 30-May-15 21:41:42

I know I need to go back to the GP as I have bad anxiety as well. I feel so stupid thinking I could come off ADs, I'm also really achey and confused just now too hmm

Flingingmelon Sat 30-May-15 21:55:19

I came off a few weeks ago. At first it seemed really easy so I just stopped. Then I basically had a crash and was unbearable and really low for a few days. ��☕️

I stuck it out, it was horrible and my family took a lot of crap, but it was only a few days.

If you don't think you can cope with a few days (I was only on 20mg to start with) then definitely go back to the doctor. Could you reverse your tapering off a bit to get you well enough to go?

Flingingmelon Sat 30-May-15 21:56:19

Also, are you doing anything else in combo with the AD's? CBT etc?

sweetkitty Sat 30-May-15 21:56:23

I've been completely off them for 6 weeks now

sweetkitty Sat 30-May-15 21:56:51

No nothing although had CBT years ago

Flingingmelon Sat 30-May-15 21:59:07

It's weird isn't it? You think when you stop taking the tablets you're done, but really they affect you for ages. Problem is, at this point you might have to go through that two weeks of crap at the beginning again. That's what pushed me into sticking it out. Hopefully a more experienced person will be around with knowledge of that soon.

It's awful thinking you're better and then realising you aren't isn't it?

Flingingmelon Sat 30-May-15 22:02:46

Did you find it any use? If so are you in an area where you can self refer? Might be good to get talking to a therapist again if you found it helpful.

Before I came off I talked to the doctor about what I thought would help me stay well. Is there anything like that you can concentrate on?

Also, why did you come off them? You don't need to actually say here but I found it useful to kind of refocus on what I was trying to do. It's so hard to think straight when your brain doesn't want to however.

sweetkitty Sat 30-May-15 22:09:25

No not really the therapist wasn't very good TBH. I'm rubbish at going to the GP as well.

I don't know why I came off them, wanted to see how I would get on confused thought they weren't doing much.

Flingingmelon Sat 30-May-15 22:13:44

You thought they weren't doing much cos you felt okay? Or because you were struggling?

I get the CBT thing, I found a lot of it was nonsense. Was anything useful?

Flingingmelon Sat 30-May-15 22:17:17

Do you have any in the house?

Would you consider going back on them just to get you motivated to see the doctor?

I know it sounds silly but if your DH made the appointment would you go?
I found my anxiety stopped me making the call, but once something was in the diary I got all wound up about being late so I wasn't too bad at actually getting there? How does your anxiety affect your ability to do anything? Can you get someone else give you a nudge (or a bloody good shove?) ��

sweetkitty Sat 30-May-15 22:24:50

No none in the house

I'm just always too busy or stressed to make the call or go see the GP excuses I know. I don't work but never have a minute.

Now I have to go through the 3 weeks of crap again.

Anxiety sometimes stops me going out, definitely stops me going anywhere far in the car. Have health anxiety and social anxiety

Flingingmelon Sat 30-May-15 22:26:43

Thing is, every day of that three weeks of crap is one day less, after you've been to the GP. If you don't go it's open ended.

Flingingmelon Sat 30-May-15 22:28:56

I'd get the DH to help you get there. It's for his health benefit as much as yours grin

sweetkitty Sat 30-May-15 22:31:56

I actually changed GPs as the last one just made me fill in those bloody questionnaires every visit and made me feel like an annoyance.

I've been through this before I know I have to get to the GP get back on the ADs, feel like crap knowing I'll probably be on them forever now.

ScottishDiblet Sat 30-May-15 22:37:57

I'm sorry things are so tough. You know I was on and off anti depressants for years and it was a real cycle. Now I'm just permanently on a low dose and I'm great! My doctor and I agree I need it to keep me on an even keel and stop my anxiety getting out of control. Coming off them and going back on them is very hard and actually sometimes you need to accept that you need the extra help for your chemical imbalance. Go and see the GP please. It will be much better for you and your children. X

ScottishDiblet Sat 30-May-15 23:01:54

Sorry obviously you **dont know because you don't know me but hopefully the rest of my post made sense. Hugs x

sweetkitty Sun 31-May-15 09:04:55

Thank you all I do know I need to go back on the but it's kind of hard to accept just how low I have got in such a short period of time. I've been on and off ADs for 20 years hmm so think I just need to be on them. I have 4DC and am always so stressed and busy with them plus the constant anxiety of my health and their health every twinge is Cancer just now hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now