Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

psych has told my gp all details

(10 Posts)
captaincake Thu 28-May-15 16:59:08

I've just received a letter 'summarising' our sessions. It is in very great private detail. By summarising I mean she's detailed absolutely everything we spoke about. At the bottom it is cc'd to my gp practice so now everyone will read that. Is this normal? She told me it would be private and I'm devastated sad

Chchchchangeabout Thu 28-May-15 17:01:22

No that's not normal and sounds in breach of ethics. Is she a member of a professional body? They should have a code of ethics she is bound by so you can check there.

Selks Thu 28-May-15 17:20:34

It's normal for mental health (and other health) professionals to write to GPs to provide information regarding care provided or treatment plans etc, in fact health professionals are obliged to do this as your GP is the person who holds primary responsibility for your health and your health records, therefore should be informed as necessary.
However if you feel that confidentiality has been breached then you can complain..your health trust will probably have details online re complaints procedure.
Had the Psych or anyone in that service discussed confidentiality and information sharing with the GP? They should have done. If not then again, grounds for complaint.

Albadross Thu 28-May-15 17:21:32

Mine did exactly the same. Included the age I started masturbating FFS.

captaincake Thu 28-May-15 17:22:11

She's the perinatal psych so i'm sure they have on record a ticked box that they can discuss with my gp but that's different surely? I appreciate I'm having an anxiety problem here but I don't feel I can move on to the adult mental health team or go back to the gp now. I feel humiliated, out of control, angry and so upset.

Selks Thu 28-May-15 17:22:44

Sorry just saw you were told it would be private. That's not good. Sorry you are upset, OP.

captaincake Thu 28-May-15 18:17:22

Care provided and treatment plans etc I'm happy to be shared. She said what we discussed would be private it was the first thing she said in the first session. I was under the impression she would write to the gp to say that we had had the sessions and what I would need after. Why does she need to tell all the gp receptionists and a gp i've never even seen about the private details of my childhood.

I've been let down badly by the perinatal service and finally thought I'd found someone who was a good person there. I'm going to tell them to discharge me. I can't go on to have treatment from adult mental health now I won't be able to talk to them.

NotAJammyDodger Fri 29-May-15 20:06:10

If you have given permission on a form somewhere then there may be little grounds for complaint. Either way it sounds like it sucks.
However, you were copied in on the letter (which isn't always the case) - I guess it's about whether better to know what has been written or not, but the letter is still written anyway????
Given the volume of patients that GPs have and paperwork, I doubt whether the receptionists would really want to read the letter, other than just to scan and file it.
Also, GP receptionists should not have access to review your detailed medical record (as opposed to to attaching scanned files) or basic details (such as name etc). This is because it was challenged a few years ago under the Data Protection Act - as they have no clinical need / justification to to be able to have unfettered access to your records.
Also, by psych do you mean psychiatrist or psychologist? I think I would expect my psychiatrist to provide detailed clinical judgements (and waffle!), but would be pissed if my therapist went into detail with my GP.
Either way, do write a stinky letter to those to concerned if it makes you feel better.
But, please don't discharge yourself on the basis of their letter. If you need their help, or support take it - you're entitled to it.

captaincake Sat 30-May-15 13:43:02

It was the therapist talking therapy one not the medication one. I can't remember which one is which. The medication one once wrote to my gp to say i "do coke" when he meant "drink coke". That was interesting. The receptionists always read my letters I know because when I say my name they say oh yes a letter about you arrived today let me get it up and they can answer questions about the letters. It's too late I rang up distraught and just said discharge me and the admin lady just said yes fine that'll be done. I'm going to have to go to my gp and ask them to refer me to adult mental health now I guess as that's what perinatal were going to be doing when I was discharged from them. I'm not looking to complain that'll get me no where I think I'm only looking to rant about how humiliated I am really sad

NotAJammyDodger Sat 30-May-15 15:45:57

Captain rant away! It works grin.
Totally get how humiliated you must feel angry.
I had a few 'cross-wires' hmm about my diagnosis (although was swiftly sorted) but I was really annoyed at the time.
Hope you get your referral swiftly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now