Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Counselling advice needed

(5 Posts)
BettyTheHippo Mon 25-May-15 08:51:56

Hi. My DP has suffered with severe anxiety for many years and has finally agreed to go for counselling privately. My question is how do we find someone, and what do they do
If I just Google counselling in his area - we live apart - lots of names appear, but how do I know if they are suitable.
And do they literally just talk to you? Do they offer opinions or suggestions, or just let you get it off your chest and hope you reach the right conclusion?
Any help would be much appreciated x

Millie2013 Mon 25-May-15 09:04:53

Google UKCP, you can then search for therapists in your area

Counselling is a funny thing and quite hard to define! I've had therapists who are more "hands on" and others were are more inclined to let me talk. The very best one I've had is my current one, who is very intuitive and adapts the sessions depending on my current mood/need. Traditionally, there are different theoretical models which you might want to read up on, but many therapists work in an integrative fashion, drawing on components of different theories. My therapist is a psychoanalyst, but uses lots of "stuff" from other areas of counselling. Counsellors don't really tell you what to do, they support you in making your own choices. Mine does a lot of "I'm wondering whether..."

Apparently (and I concur), it's the relationship between counsellor and client that's most important, so it's crucial to see someone with whom the relationship feels "right". This might mean having assessments with several counsellors, he doesn't nevessarily have to go with the first one he sees
Good luck!

AliceScarlett Sat 30-May-15 10:01:03

BACP website.

NotAJammyDodger Sun 31-May-15 23:29:52

Hi Betty hope these links are some help:

BACP Find a Therapist - Finding the right therapist - what the qualifications mean
www.bacp.co.uk/seeking_therapist/right_therapist.php

Counselling Directory - Find a Counsellor Near You
www.counselling-directory.org.uk/

Link to types of therapy
psychcentral.com/psychotherapy/

Key Questions to Ask When Choosing a Therapist
This is a U.S. Site which I like but still has some helpful pointers:
psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2012/08/14/key-questions-to-ask-when-choosing-a-therapist/
Questions to Ask Your Therapist
psychcentral.com/lib/questions-to-ask-your-therapist/
How To Interview A Therapist Before You Commit
blogs.psychcentral.com/therapy-soup/2015/02/how-to-interview-a-therapist-before-you-commit/

NotAJammyDodger Mon 01-Jun-15 15:47:15

Hi, also see this link - covers a multiple of topics....
www.mentalhealth.org.uk/help-information/mental-health-a-z/t/talking-therapies/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now