Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Bipolar misdiagnosis

(5 Posts)
Stinkylinky Fri 22-May-15 16:26:44

I was diagnosed with Bipolar about 7 years ago after a long history of mental health issues relating to experiences in childhood.

For the last 5 years I have been completely free of medication, therapy and any issues regarding my mental health.

In all fairness, I had pretty much forgotten about the bipolar diagnosis until I became pregnant and now it is constantly being brought up my midwife, health visitor and GP.

I feel that Bipolar was a misdiagnosis due to never having experienced the highs associated with bipolar, I just was very depressed and felt like it was more likely that I was suffering with PTS. Family members also thought the diagnosis was wrong at the time and they still do now.

Is there any way that I could get this confirmed by any one and a note put on my records?

Lipgloss74 Fri 22-May-15 16:44:13

Hi there, I really feel for you after having a few misdiagnosis myself over the years only to be told recently it was basically depression due to several life circumstances.
It's all on my notes too but have asked my CPN to change this and to never assessed properly but the physiatrist that first wrongly diagnosed me- are you able to do that?
Good luck with your pregnancy and don't worry too much about what's on your notes- you are clearly well. They have a duty to look out for you and your unborn baby which is not such a bad thing really.

Stinkylinky Fri 22-May-15 17:30:48

Thanks for your reply, sorry to hear that you have had misdiagnosis' too. I'm going to see my GP next week as they have asked to see me for a mental health review and blood tests regarding bipolar (never even heard of this!?) and discuss a potential misdiagnosis. Hopefully, if she agrees, she will place a note on my records.

In a way, I think that will be closure for me on an awful part of my life that I don't want to be reminded of every time I visit the Dr!

dontrunwithscissors Fri 22-May-15 17:42:34

I think you will need to see a psychiatrist to have any chance of it being changed. I'm afraid it's very hard--they will likely say it's in remission. It can unfortunately affect a lot of things--including being a notifiable condition to the DVLA and car insurance.

PoppyShakespeare Sun 24-May-15 00:27:30

good luck, I've never ever managed to get my bipolar diagnosis revoked or even have anything that I think is a better fit (for example some kind of characterological problem) added to it (I've had some hospitalisations for mania and hypomania so I guess that can't be undone even if antidepressant induced)

if they've never treated you for elation or ever documented it then maybe they will rethink?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now