Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Depression - how do you escape it?

(5 Posts)
MrNedSchneebly Tue 19-May-15 15:33:29

I suffered from crippling post natal depression with my first. It was horrific. Thankfully I came out the other side and went to have a second. I didn't get it again and I was so relieved.

But now my second is eight months old and out of absolutely nowhere it seems to be creeping back. All of a sudden I am recognising the symptoms. How do I stop it taking hold of me again? What do I do?

I'm reluctant to take antidepressants again as I'm BFing.

BigBirthdayGloom Tue 19-May-15 16:21:08

First of all, well done for recognising it. Secondly, don't panic about antidepressants and breastfeeding. There are plenty that are fine. It is horrible slipping back-I felt that panic a few weeks ago, but I have dragged myself out before it really took hold by using cbt techniques I learnt last time and really telling dh and a couple of friends how I felt. And, because I just felt the need to "get it out" without being too self indulgent with friends, I rang the Samaritans who listened while I worked it through and made a plan. I guess what I'm saying, if you've been there before, you're in a better position to start sorting it out before its taken hold as much.
Lots of supportive vibes coming your way-depression sucks and the very though of it makes you feel worse.

BigBirthdayGloom Tue 19-May-15 16:21:39

See the gp soon, though.

MrNedSchneebly Tue 19-May-15 17:54:35

Thank you. Anti ds are so horrible in the beginning though. I want to avoid it. Is it possible do you think to nip it in the bud with CBT? I've never done it before.

BigBirthdayGloom Tue 19-May-15 19:18:50

Again, see your gp. I had two lots of four sessions of one to one cbt style counselling and it really helped. Truthfully though, I really started to be able to use the cbt things when I had anti d's too. Until the meds, I didn't have enough balance to put the cbt into practice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now