Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Citalopram, Diazepam and alcohol?

(8 Posts)
SmileAndNod Mon 18-May-15 12:48:16

I've been suffering with PND since Dd was born nearly 2 years ago, and tried to get better by myself but I just couldn't. some seriously bad stuff has been happening in the last few weeks and the upshot is that I've finally been to the doctors and prescribed the above. I'm about two weeks in and feeling a bit calmer, though the problems are ongoing with no end in sight.

Anyway at the weekend I really fancied a gin & tonic. I only ever have one or two over the course of a weekend. Nothing during the week. But the leaflets say not to drink with medication?

I've not been taking the diazepam every day, only when I'm feeling particularly shaky and prone to a panic attack. Will an occasional glass of something on holiday next week kill me?

NotAJammyDodger Mon 18-May-15 13:13:46

I do have the occasional glass of wine whilst taking my AD. However, I never drink if I have taken Diazepam during the day. That a bad mix - I think both act on the central nervous system so the combination of the two isn't advisable.

bilbodog Mon 18-May-15 14:22:25

I've only ever taken diazepam to help me sleep at night but have drunk alcohol before. I take Citalopram and I do drink in the evenings. not noticed any problems - but I would do it very carefully just to make sure you are Ok becaue everyone is different.

SmileAndNod Mon 18-May-15 17:45:31

Thank you. I will try a glass on holiday next week but not on a diazepam day and obviously I won't be in sole charge of the childrensmile

Cat2014 Mon 18-May-15 20:28:40

I have all three. Probably not advisable but that's the least of my worries, if they help short term that's all I care about at the moment sad

SmileAndNod Mon 18-May-15 21:16:20

I know that feeling Cat. Just trying to get through one day at a time at the moment. Finding it hard to see a way through it all...

Hope you start to feel better soonflowers

NotAJammyDodger Tue 19-May-15 10:22:06

Enjoy your holiday Smile smile. Hope you get some much needed R&R!

passthewineplz Tue 19-May-15 20:13:00

You can drink in moderation on citalopram, however it's not recommended whilst taking diazepam. www.headmeds.org.uk/medications/18-diazepam/sex_drink_and_everything

I've used alcohol to self medicate while taking diazapam, and other antidepressants (it's not recommended and I don't advocate it) I did it as I was in a bad place (depressed and suffer anxiety) as it makes me feel sedated and numb which is what I needed at the time, and gives me a similar to taking codeine for pain.

One drink whilst taking diazapam will make you tired probably, any more could do a number of things.

I'm currently on citalopram and if I have a drink it gives me the same feeling as taking diazapam and citalopram together. So if you have a drink whilst taking both just be careful, or just miss taking diazapam if you're going to have a drink. Diazapam is short term so it's best to try and not get used to them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now