Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

struggling with the day to day stuff

(6 Posts)
textfan Tue 12-May-15 19:10:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Brookville Tue 12-May-15 20:23:27

Hi there sorry to hear you're feeling low at the moment. Would it be helpful to write out a cleaning plan for each week and try and stick to it, eg: Monday: dust, hoover, change sheets upstairs and clean the bathroom. Then stop. Tuesday: dust and Hoover lounge/dining room. Weds: deep clean-ishwinkwink) the kitchen. And so on. If you break it into shorter,manageable chunks so that it doesn't feel overwhelming or like it's taking up the whole day it might feel possible. You don't have to devote two entire days to cleaning.
One rule I always have is to clear up dinner/kitchen before bed so I always come down to a clean kitchen. I find I'm calmer as a result. Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

textfan Tue 12-May-15 22:57:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NanaNina Wed 13-May-15 16:40:58

Chuck those lists away I reckon! God I feel worn out just reading them. I suffer from depression and anxiety and it fluctuates - some days fine others very depressed - don't want to get out of bed.

I heard someone on here once say something that helped me a bit - she was on the sofa and didn't know where to start to tidy and someone said "just pick one thing up and put I away, and you might find you go on to pick up several more things and put them away - if not don't worry - try again a bit later on." It worked for me.........I never plan to do anything housework wise (mind there's only me and DP) but do it when I'm feeling ok though not to the same standard as you OP and Brookvilletbh.

Sorry I'm not taking into account your OCD and this I'm sure complicates matters. My DP is a hoarder and this does really get me annoyed but I know this is part of OCD so try to be patient. I don't mind if I can't see his mess but if I can then I have to tell him to tidy it up and he usually does. I'm not ultra tidy but I don't like clutter.

If there's just you and a teenage DD there surely isn't that much to do is there. I clean the floors and bathroom and change beds and DH does the vacuuming and sorts out the dishwasher. That's pretty much it...........try to stop worrying about the housework, and maybe get DD to help a bit. My CPN has OCD and she gets up at 5.00 a.m. every morning and cleans the whole house - I feel so sorry for her - it must be very wearing!

Quitelikely Wed 13-May-15 16:47:26

That could have been me nina!

Op just get a large black bag and start filling it with rubbish.

It doesn't matter what room you start in, what time of day, don't plan it, just get the bag and start.

Once you throw out some things the mess will be smaller, the place will be less cluttered.

Go, go, go!

PeppermintCrayon Wed 13-May-15 16:50:57

Others manage...why can't I ?

No they don't. It can feel like everyone else is able to do things but actually it is completely normal and understandable to find the day to day stuff hard when you are also struggling with mental health issues. It's just that you don't get to hear about people struggling so you can end up feeling like you are the only one.

You are having a tough time. It would be good to get things sorted but it's also important to be kind and compassionate towards yourself. You are finding things hard because they are hard. That isn't anything to be ashamed of flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now