Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Thought I was over my depression ...

(5 Posts)
Pleasepassthewine Sun 10-May-15 21:15:49

Hi. I have two dcs. DS has high functioning ASD. DH was made redundant and has a job about 80 miles from where we live do he's living there in the week and is just back at weekends. We are moving house to be together again. My mum died from cancer a few years ago and my dad is severely disabled. I help look after him. I have no support network at all.

Two years ago I had a sort of 'breakdown' I just couldn't cope anymore. I became suicidal and was eventually diagnosed with severe depression. GP put me on prozac (after six months of begging for help) it was amazing and within a few weeks I was fine again smile my usual gp said asy depression was so severe I may have to remain on them for life sad

Earlier this year I as another gp who said I should try to come off them. I decided to try as some of the side effects weren't pleasant (no interest in sex, dry down below amongst other things) anyway came of them, felt great.

Last couple of weeks, I've had feelings of anxiety again, been very tearful the last few days and today, felt hopeless and struggling to see the point in going on again sad

Don't really know what I'm posting for, DH is more interested in his job these days and I feel wretched again. Started prozac again today sad

shadypines Wed 13-May-15 19:39:07

I am sorry you are having and have had such a hard time Wine you certainly have been through a lot. Hopefully things will be easier when you move?? Will you still be able to take care of your dad? I hope you see some light at the end of the tunnel soon. There are people here for you

flowers and hugs

Mumite Wed 13-May-15 20:58:28

Pleasepass I came on here to post my own sorry story of relapsing into depression and read yours. I also lost my mum to cancer, just a few weeks ago, but don't see my Dad as he abused me.

It just strikes me that your situation is very difficult and would try anyone. Having to care for a disabled father, the separation from your DH in the week when you must be like a single parent, now contending with moving house. It's such a lot to deal with.

I am sorry I don't know how to make you feel better, maybe the Prozac will help, but wanted to say I'm sorry you are in this hard position.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Thu 14-May-15 07:53:52

When I reflect on my experience, it took over four years to come through from my initial breakdown to finaly being stable, (with the caviet that I am now on long term management). And I was lucky enough to be able to take myself away from all the circumstances that lead to my illness.

You probably need more time. It will pass, even though right now you probably can't believe that it ever can, it will.

CycleChic Sun 17-May-15 00:58:13

Hey, I'm in a similar boat. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now