Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Bipolar 2 and GAD. What happens now?

(6 Posts)
HouseLikeAZoo Fri 13-Feb-15 13:05:28

Hello - this is my first post in MH and I'm hoping you lovely people can tell me what to expect.

After years of depression, ADs and feeling crap, on Wednesday I finally saw a consultant psychiatrist who started from the beginning and told me that it looks like I have bipolar 2 and GAD.

My biological dad has bipolar, my uncle and grandmother had it too. I - in total denial - never considered I may have it too. I had no idea that you could have bipolar without mania. I'm shocked, have read loads but my head's spinning.

I also suffer severely from anxiety & the psychiatrist wants to get that settled before tackling the bipolar. I've been prescribed pregabalin which I'm due to start today. I'm going back in 3 weeks for review.

My questions are:
1. How do you get a formal diagnosis of bipolar?
2. My dad's on lithium and has been stable for years. The psychiatrist mentioned several mood stabilisers, what will starting those drugs be like?
3. Anyone have any experience of pregabalin for anxiety? I'm also on citalopram 30mg but I've been told to continue those & that they shouldn't interact. Again, any experiences would be good to hear.

Thank you. This will be ok, won't it?

Iwasinamandbunit Fri 13-Feb-15 19:02:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HouseLikeAZoo Fri 13-Feb-15 21:23:48

Thanks for replying.

Does anyone have experience of pregabalin for anxiety? I've been reading up (and searching on here) but haven't really found much out. Want to know if I'll be functional for the next little while sad

DiaryOfAWimpyMum Fri 13-Feb-15 21:32:45

First of all you will be okay. smile

I have bipolar 2, GAD and PTSD.

I'm prescribed a mood stabiliser and anti-depressants, I also wasn't hypo-manic until I turned 39 years old and had more depressive episodes rather than the hypo-mania, the mood stabilisers stop both. I got my formal diagnosis from my Psychiatrist and see him monthly now to check on how I am.

I have never heard of pregabalin before but take Sertraline 100mg to help my anxiety.

Any more questions just ask. smile

HouseLikeAZoo Fri 13-Feb-15 21:41:58

Thank you smile

I think I was spooked by the scary word "bipolar". It just brings to mind a frightening image blush My parents separated when I was a toddler so although my biological dad was diagnosed back in the 80's, I've not actually been close to him & had just heard wild stories of him being manic (he's an alcoholic and when he drank he "lost it" for long periods). It feels v strange to apply the same definition to myself, but a kind of relief to hear that there might be a treatment that works?

DiaryOfAWimpyMum Fri 13-Feb-15 22:54:56

My grandad was bipolar and my brother is too so I was s bit shocked to find out too, with the right medication you can be quite stable though, I just knew something wasn't quite right as my mind was working overtime and I couldn't sleep but I just take my meds at night time and usually feel fine and sleep well, I also have s good psychiatrist and a crisis number to call if I ever feel I need to see him between scheduled appointments. smile on the right medication you will be fine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: