Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How to set up a support group?

(8 Posts)
LonelySadMum Thu 12-Feb-15 00:25:12

I am wanting to set up a support group for people who live with depression as I am struggling to find one that I myself could attend.

I have been put in for CBT but have a 10 week waiting list before I get my 6 sessions. I don't believe CBT is the answer for me although the therapist I had my assessment with was adamant that was what I need. I also feel she belittled a lot of what I told her.

6 sessions won't begin to help me with my issues but I believe being able to sit face to face with others experiencing the same thoughts and emotions as myself would be more beneficial to me and at the same time beneficial for others.

Any suggestions or advice that anyone could give?

bluebell345 Thu 12-Feb-15 08:30:54

I'm not sure but Mind can have some activities. You can Google them. flowers

LonelySadMum Thu 12-Feb-15 09:53:28

I've already had a look at them, there isnt really anything guaranteed for when I desperately need it. I was wanting to create something like the support structure AA offers.

Its very disheartening that people with alcohol and drug problems can easily find local support but those of us with mental difficulties struggle to find anything designed specifically for us.

I may start by creating a Facebook page and hopefully find someone like minded who would like to assist in starting something smile

PollyPooic Thu 12-Feb-15 10:12:46

I've set up support groups before, quite a few, it's quite addictive - one was a sort of physical health thing (parents of babies with eczema) and the local GP surgery gave us a room and some funding and support, one was an educational group for parents and I got funding, venue, a whole staffed creche etc via community education, and the only mental health one I set up was through the manic depression fellowship (now bipolar uk) who were great in terms of money, advice, a library of books and leaflets, speakers and so on

you could start with all the existing charities who run support groups like this such as depression alliance, talk to your community mental health team, you don't need very much to get started and someone somewhere will be willing to lend you a venue for free or not much ££ and there'll be funding available from somewhere too - it might be a good idea to visit some groups in neighbouring towns and see how they are run, what do you like about them? where could they be improved?

LonelySadMum Thu 12-Feb-15 15:49:11

Thanks for the advice PollyPooic I will certainly take it onboard smile

WorryWurta Thu 12-Feb-15 19:46:34

I think setting up a support group is a great idea! I run a few groups as part of my job with a local dementia charity and it really isn't that hard, it's very much a 'if you build it they will come' kind of thing :-) The only thing I will say is that whilst logistically it isn't hard, it can be demanding if you are working with a group of people with competing needs and potentially conflicting issues. Especially if you have a lot going on yourself. I applaud you for creating your own support network and wanting to help others, but I'd think long and hard about whether you are at this point mentally strong enough to take on the emotional demands of leading a group. (I'm not saying you're not by the way, just to make sure you've considered it).

knightofswords Thu 12-Feb-15 21:40:58

Have pm'd you op

knightofswords Thu 12-Feb-15 21:43:14

Sorry perhaps wasn't clear in last message - my group is about reconnecting and communicating with people rather than depression or MH issues. Your idea of a support group is an excellent one and would probably be a good idea to do separately.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: