Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

To go back to work or ask to be signed off again?

(3 Posts)
VulvaVoom Tue 10-Feb-15 12:07:51

Hi all

Hoping for some advice. I work part time and have been signed off work for 2 weeks with what I feel is severe depression.

I have a doctor's appt tomorrow to see how I'm getting on. I'm OK but feeling very anxious and still having random horrible thoughts.

I'm not sure about going back to work, part of me thinks it will help and the other part is scared. For one, explaining why I've been off and just generally coping with work.

I'm happy being off but I also like my job, so not sure what to do, any advice appreciated.

NanaNina Tue 10-Feb-15 12:39:05

If you have severe depression 2 weeks is nowhere near long enough to feel well enough to go to work. You say you're ok but feeling anxious, and I think this anxiety could worsen if you go back to work too soon. Are you on meds - you must be if your depression is severe. They probably won't have really kicked in in 2 weeks - they usually take 2/4 weeks before you feel any benefit, but it is possible for them to work more quickly and maybe this is the case for you.

Given that you work part time I suppose it's feasible you can manage this, and you like your job which is another plus. Is it a responsible job where you are having to meet deadlines etc. I suppose you could go back and see how it goes, but it could knock your confidence if you go back too soon and then have to go off again.

VulvaVoom Tue 10-Feb-15 12:47:48

Thanks Nana. I was on meds anyway but my dose has been doubled. I have moments where I feel OK but then I'll pop to the shops and not be able to focus on what I'm supposed to be doing and so just go home blush

Everything feels a bit insurmountable but I'm good at putting on a facade at work, so I'm torn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now