Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Got citalopram - a few questions?

(17 Posts)
Aubrianna Tue 10-Feb-15 10:18:03

I spoke to my doctor on the phone this morning (they have phone triage) and he told me he would leave a prescription for citalopram at the reception for me

I have pick up the tablets but I am a little worried and just had a couple of questions.

It says take one a day it's 20mg if that makes any difference but it doesn't say a time of day . Is it best to take it morning or evening (I work in the day) but I do have trouble sleeping already so not sure.

Also it just says review date 11th may so I just keep taking this until May? Is that how long it might take to have any effect?

Lastly are there any common side effects I ahould expect,?

rinabean Tue 10-Feb-15 10:23:12

I used to take mine in the morning

It might work sooner than then. After a month or two if it's not doing anything you'll want to go back and ask for a higher dose. Not sure why they said May with a new med tbh

Firstly don't expect side effects. The more you expect the more you get, like a backwards placebo effect. But the normal ones are kind of typical like dry mouth, nausea. I got a weird jaw thing, I can't describe it, you'll know it if you get it. None is harmful, just annoying. Obviously if you get anything scary you go back to the doctor. Good luck smile

cleoismycat Tue 10-Feb-15 10:32:44

I had side effects in the first week and contemplated stopping taking them but persevered and was glad I did. They take 2-4 weeks to kick in and the doc will want to review how you feel in May. The recommendation is that you take them for a minimum of 6 months and I found counselling also helped.

Aubrianna Tue 10-Feb-15 13:16:47

Thanks rina - I have deliberately not googled because I know what I am like!

Aubrianna Tue 10-Feb-15 13:22:28

Thanks cleo I will give them a fair trail !

One more question !

Will citalopram help with and I hope I'm using the right term here! Intrusive thoughts? Or is it a different thing?

MrsMinton Tue 10-Feb-15 20:58:04

I take mine at night because that suits me best with remembering to take it.
It helped me a lot with my unhelpful thoughts/anxiety. It can take up to 4 weeks to reach full effect and it is a low dose so if it doesn't seem to be helping as much as you'd hope then ask to see your GP sooner.

It's been very helpful to me and I'm happy to answer anything that helps.

cleoismycat Tue 10-Feb-15 22:57:11

Most people have intrusive thoughts and as long as they stay as thoughts then it's normal. I found counselling also helped with this.

FranTan Tue 10-Feb-15 23:52:11

Hi there

I take in the morning. Side effects for me included a slight spaced out feeling/depersonalisation, yawning and unexplained bruising (v rare). Lasted about 2 weeks and glad I persevered.

anxiety lifted and intrusive thoughts eased relatively quickly; I am v sensitive to meds and noticed a slight improvement in 1-2 weeks.

I am currently weaning off slowly after 18 months for a PND related condition. Have previously been on several other ssris but found citalopram to be the best by far.

Therewere5inthebed Wed 11-Feb-15 11:21:16

I started these (40mg) six weeks ago as I had anxiety creeping up on me and beginning to take over. The side effects for me were horrible at first, nausea, headache, vision disturbance, dry mouth and jaw ache. But I persevered and after two days, although the side effects were there I began to feel more like me again. Six weeks in I find it hard to believe how much better I feel and life feels exciting and fun again. I still feel thirsty but look at it as a good thing as it makes me drink more water. So if you do get some side effects don't give up they go within a few weeks in most people and the pills really can change your life. smile

Aubrianna Wed 11-Feb-15 16:01:14

Thanks I took the first one last night. Don't seem to have any side effects at all so far so see how it goes this week!.

I am rely hoping that they do help in the long run. I am really sick of sitting in work and feeling like crying.

I had the first appointment with a counsellor today. It was ok just mainly talking about what she did.

Don't know if it will help in the long run but I am hopeful

FranTan Wed 11-Feb-15 20:33:33

Medication combined with therapy and, if possible, exercise is the best way to tackle anxiety IME. I completely relate to sitting at work and wanting to do nothing but cry/run away. And small steps recovery will probably come quicker than you expect.

FranTan Wed 11-Feb-15 20:34:47

*make that anxiety/depression

Ilikesweetpeas Wed 11-Feb-15 20:38:02

I didn't have any side effects apart from feeling a lot calmer and less anxious within a few weeks. Hope it's the same for you. My GP advised taking them in the morning after food

Varya Wed 11-Feb-15 20:39:05

Citalopram IMO is a very effective AD. Taken in the morning so to be effective in the day. Side effects, fairly rare.

cleoismycat Fri 13-Feb-15 17:06:24

How are you getting on OP?

Aubrianna Sat 14-Feb-15 19:34:01

Cleo - thanks for asking . I feel pretty much the same so far - no side effects at least. I have found the last few days pretty hard and confusing and next week is half term which I am dreading . BUT I feel a glimmer of hope that at least I have asked for help now if you see what I mean.

I kind of wish I could just literally go and tell my doctor everything like other people seem to but I cant - I just can't seem to put that into words for other people to hear.

My doctor though seems to be ok with "I'm not ok" although I think it would have been better to be a bit more specific!

katsnmouse Sun 15-Feb-15 12:30:06

Well done for asking for help! I know how hard it is, but you've taken the first step.

I'm on citalopram, 20mg since Jan 2014. Side effects for me were headaches. I think i need a dose change as i still have 'brain fog' and difficulty sleeping, but the intrusive thoughts are much much improved.

Have you tried writing it down how you feel/think and taking that with you to the doc? I found that helped me to get my thoughts straight and stopped me from forgetting things.

x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: