Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Can't ejaculate on citalopram

(11 Posts)
justjuanmorebeer Mon 09-Feb-15 10:59:42

Dp is on 20mg of this. Working well doing what it is meant to but he cannot climax during sex.

I know it can affect sex stuff luckily it has no impact on being able to get an erection, he just can't finish.

Anyone had this, overcome this? know of a different medication that may be better?

eyebags63 Mon 09-Feb-15 17:12:24

All SSRIs can have this effect on men. Perversely some other medications can have the exact opposite effect; causing almost instant/spontaneous ejaculation.

It may get better over time or it may not. Lowering the dose might lessen the side-effect but at the risk of the depression/anxiety returning.

I would take to doctor, may need to change the medication or dose.

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Mon 09-Feb-15 20:27:51

20mg is a small dose. Maybe look at a different ssri. It's not an uncommon problem.

GilbertBlytheWouldGetIt Mon 09-Feb-15 22:45:34

Can have the same effect on women too! Sertraline can be better for sexual function. Your partners experience may vary, of course.

letsghostdance Tue 10-Feb-15 01:49:40

I think it might take some time to settle on to it. How long has he been on it?

NotLoveActually Tue 10-Feb-15 03:47:29

I had this problem too (am a female though) along with massively decreased libido. It was horrible, but ended up coming off the meds in the end. Sounds a bit daft but while they helped settle my anxiety and calmed me, I felt like a much flatter, duller, just less sparkly version of myself.

justjuanmorebeer Tue 10-Feb-15 12:50:14

About 4 months been on them now.

As I say the choice of drug is working well for the symptoms otherwise it is just this unwanted side effect that is the problem.

frankieboy23 Tue 10-Feb-15 12:51:26

I also have the same problem. I went on to fluoxitine but found i had ed problems so went back on to citralopran. Still cant climax easily but we have found a method that works.

justjuanmorebeer Tue 10-Feb-15 14:02:50

Ok so maybe it is perseverence then?

Notrevealingmyidentity Tue 10-Feb-15 14:16:17

Sadly normal on this troupe of drug. For me it took some months to be able to orgasm at all.
I was on Prozac/fluoxetine though.

Wait a bit then maybe try a different drug ?

frankieboy23 Tue 10-Feb-15 15:07:15

Try to look at alternative types of stimulus rather than penetrative sex.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: