Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

If I go to my gp tomorrow and tell him about these thoughts what will happen

(6 Posts)
Aubrianna Sun 08-Feb-15 20:43:05

I went a few weeks ago and admitted feeling depressed but said I don't feel suicidal. I don't feel suicidal now but For a couple of months and more or less constantly the last few days I do think of harming myself in a less serious ways, mostly not even seriously though. It is quite upsetting and has got worse over the last month since I went.

I am on the waiting list for counselling of some sort (the letter didnt say)

I kind of want to tell someone about this but I am terrified that the consequences may make things worse . I don't want anyone to tell me family and I have young children I am afraid that they will think I can't look after them .

So if I walk in tomorrow and tell him this what will actually happen . Is there any real point since I am already on this waiting list?

MagpieCursedTea Sun 08-Feb-15 21:13:02

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time. Has your GP spoken to you about medication options? They might do that. Please be as honest as you can with them, they can only give you the appropriate treatment if you tell them how you're feeling.
Try not to worry about what they'll think of you or your children. I have quite serious MH problems and I have only been given good support, no one has questioned my parenting.
I hope you get the help you need.

Aubrianna Sun 08-Feb-15 21:25:37

The gp offered me medication last time but I was very nervous about taking then so decided to try the counselling first. I just don't like making a fuss about things so I tend to understate things when I am there.

MagpieCursedTea Sun 08-Feb-15 21:53:43

I find it helpful to write things down before the appointment as I get a bit overwhelmed when I'm there. Maybe you could try that?
Please don't think you're making a fuss. You have a genuine need and they're there to help you.

MagpieCursedTea Sun 08-Feb-15 21:53:52

I find it helpful to write things down before the appointment as I get a bit overwhelmed when I'm there. Maybe you could try that?
Please don't think you're making a fuss. You have a genuine need and they're there to help you.

MagpieCursedTea Sun 08-Feb-15 21:54:15

Oops posted twice, sorry blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: