Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How can I stop giving a sh*t?!

(5 Posts)
listentotheman Fri 30-Jan-15 19:13:43

Please advice if you can. I am sick of fretting/worrying/dwelling on things all the time.

I just move from one concern to another and am constantly thinking. It's exhausting!

I am so in awe of people who just seem relaxed and trouble-free - how do they manage it?

DeliciousMonster Fri 30-Jan-15 19:15:45

What happens when you worry about something? Does it help the thing that you are worrying about?

DustBunnyFarmer Fri 30-Jan-15 19:18:41

Have you tried mindfulness? There are lots of courses up and running now. The standard course is 8 x 2 hour sessions over 8 weeks, with practice in between. There is a book which sets out the basic approach and exercises for the 8 week course by Mark Williams and Danny Penman. You can buy it with a CD of guided meditations in the back. It's really helped me with my tendency to ruminate and angst over things, which affects my sleep badly when I'm in a bad patch.

DustBunnyFarmer Fri 30-Jan-15 19:19:53

If you can find & afford a course, I'd recommend it though - the group support and 'post match analysis' when you are trying out a new technique helps, as you see other people are struggling to get to grips with it too & that's quite reassuring.

WineCowboy Fri 30-Jan-15 19:27:11

Would second mindfulness. It's very good.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: