Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Urgent. Please help before tomorrow

(32 Posts)
Tryingtobehappier Wed 28-Jan-15 18:51:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mitchy1nge Wed 28-Jan-15 19:44:46


I'm sure there are things they can do to help you - like give you a support worker to get you and out and doing things until you are able to do it alone

some of the voluntary services run befriending schemes, you could try MIND? but there are lots more

you might be eligible for direct payments, think this is via adult social services, to pay for the help you need

Mitchy1nge Wed 28-Jan-15 19:46:22

anyway these are things you can ask the cpn about tomorrow - support worker, direct payments, befriending schemes/any local initiative aimed at social inclusion, that sort of thing?

Tryingtobehappier Wed 28-Jan-15 20:04:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chloepetal Wed 28-Jan-15 20:15:16

You could ask if your CPN or similar could accompany you to your doctors appointment. I'm so sorry for what you're going through, there must be some help available. I would think trying fod PIP is definitely worth it too, it sounds as though it would help you out with getting places, delivery costs etc. If you're already receiving benefits it might not be too difficult to get it. It makes me cross that you're not getting the help you need, at the very least you need someone to help you get to important appointments. Good luck.

sticks2 Wed 28-Jan-15 20:23:27

Can you ring the GP and explain this? Perhaps they can arrange a home visit.

Also, could you ring the helpline of mental health organisations? Some may be open 24 hours and may be able to help you. Good luck.

Tzibeleh Wed 28-Jan-15 20:26:19

How old are your dc? Could HomeStart be of any help to you?

Jackieharris Wed 28-Jan-15 20:26:57

You definitely need to see a my social worker.

In terms of practicality could you be referred to home start.

Contact any mh charities in your area.

DiaryOfAWimpyMum Wed 28-Jan-15 20:30:05

I know my psychiatrist does home visits in extreme cases and call CAB regarding PIP they also came out to my house to fill in the forms but I did have to make the initial call to DWP.

I hope you can get some help soon. There is also a local MH organisation near me if I wanted a support worker, unfortunately I couldn't even face that at the time, try google or ask tomorrow. Best of luck.

Iwasinamandbunit Wed 28-Jan-15 20:38:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tryingtobehappier Wed 28-Jan-15 21:19:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tryingtobehappier Wed 28-Jan-15 21:21:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NanaNina Wed 28-Jan-15 22:05:52

I'm wondering what your diagnosis is - because it sounds like you have PTSD (as do most people who have suffered childhood trauma) and you mention flashbacks, which is one of the symptoms of PTSD. A lot of people on these threads with PTSD talk of a particular therapy that seems to be really beneficial for this particular problem. It's called EMDR (you'd have to google it as I always forget what the initials mean. There's some similar called re-wind therapy. Apparently (unlike more conventional therapy) you don't have to go through all the painful details from the past, and don't need that many sessions to get respite.

If this hasn't been offered I think you should ask your CPN about it, but find out about it first, as she might not have heard of it, and she sounds like she doesn't know the meaning of empathy. I have a wonderfully supportive CPN and nothing is too much trouble for her, but sadly you have got the opposite.

It might well be worth making an appointment with CAB (as others have suggested) because you could check that you're getting all the benefits to which you are entitled. I know it's difficult to get PIP but you should be able to get it for a severe condition like yours. CAB should be able to advise you about this. I helped a friend claim it but she had to wait months as there was a backlog, but she did get something (can't remember how much) - not sure you'd have much luck with adult services as LAs are all desperately short of funding because the govt has slashed the budgets, and are struggling to provide statutory services.

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Wed 28-Jan-15 22:14:18

I think you should see if your GP can arrange a home visit under the circumstances. Id go as far as suggest changing to another surgery or a different GP within your surgery if they are being
so obstructive.
Plus see if the GP can refer you for any counselling/therapy with additional child support (some charities offer this, for example for looking after young children when mums with PND have counselling. Worth you asking around local charities if not available through NHS. ) Another option might be telephone counselling, which you could have while at home. (You may even be able to self refer for this online from home.)

Tryingtobehappier Wed 28-Jan-15 22:45:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

toothpasteinthetree Wed 28-Jan-15 22:56:11

Really feel for you. Like you, I have what the system considers an "interesting" set of issues and yes, asking for help can be very hard. I'd echo all of the suggestions already made - but also, have you tried any of the charities which deal with domestic abuse (Womens Aid, Refuge, Rape Crisis etc)? They seem to be strong on the advocacy side of things - they may be able to push for getting you a soc worker and better CPN

SilverStars Wed 28-Jan-15 22:57:45

Also if you have a child under 5 worth phoning your HV on top of advice others posted. They can help you get home start, may have support workers at children's centres that can help you or signpost to other services.

Tryingtobehappier Wed 28-Jan-15 23:21:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Queenofknickers Wed 28-Jan-15 23:58:19

I just wanted to add that I've found EMDR as a treatment really helpful. Lots of private psychotherapists will do it low cost for people who can't afford to pay. Wishing you love x

Tryingtobehappier Thu 29-Jan-15 09:32:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Thu 29-Jan-15 09:48:43

Slow breaths. Think of something and somewhere happy and calm. Make notes with bullet points of the things you need to ask and say.

NanaNina Thu 29-Jan-15 12:40:02

I hate to say it tryingtobehappier but the chances of the CPN not phoning are relatively high. I saw this because she has shown herself to be very uncaring and may just "forget" to phone you. Hope she does but just don't get too anxious.

Tryingtobehappier Thu 29-Jan-15 13:25:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Thu 29-Jan-15 13:39:14

Stop for a while and try to do just what to have to do thing at a time. Petrol in car. Break it down. Do you know anywhere nearby you can pay at the pump, like a Tesco?

Tryingtobehappier Thu 29-Jan-15 14:51:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: