Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Coming off Sertraline

(9 Posts)
Romas Sun 25-Jan-15 19:25:02

I'm on 200mg of sertraline and want to stop taking it. I've come off 100mg of it in the past cold turkey with about 2 weeks of feeling light-headed. I know I should taper it off, so would it be okay to cut down to 150mg for a couple of weeks and then 100mg etc?

Thanks

mrsfuzzy Mon 26-Jan-15 00:40:06

having been on various anti depressants before bi polar was diagnosed, i can understand what you are going through with the side effects DON@T go cold turkey please you'll feel like shit, i actually suffered a psychotic episode doing this, reduce 50mg every two weeks then the last 50mg every other day until you finish them, this worked for me on advice of my g.p, as a result, no side effects. hope this helps and good luck romas

Pandora37 Mon 26-Jan-15 13:17:56

You're better off asking your GP, they're better placed to suggest a suitable withdrawal period as they know your medical history, how long you've been on it etc.

mrsfuzzy Mon 26-Jan-15 13:27:33

yes that is very true pandora, but i'm just suggesting to op this what generally happens , sorry if i wasn't clear on it g.p must always be the first port of call, i tried doing it on my own stopping straight away and the results weren't good.

Romas Mon 26-Jan-15 18:39:28

Thanks for the suggestions. GP is no help, says there is nothing else he can do for me and to just stop taking the tablets if I want to stop.

cabbageandgravy Mon 26-Jan-15 21:14:25

I was only on 50mg but having read about cold turkry, & read a book (taking antidepressants') I cut down very slowly, allowing a few weeks at each stage to make sure the issue (mainly anxiety in myvcase didn't recur ie I really didn't need them any more. Really took my time (months) as what did I have to lose really?, Just went on collecting the repeat scrips till I was sure I was safely off.

mrsfuzzy Tue 27-Jan-15 14:48:15

romas, sorry but your g.p sounds a bit of a dead loss tbh, could you speak to another at the surgery ? perhaps a pharmacist or just cut down as i suggest, please don't go cold turkey, let us know how you get on. good luck.

Romas Tue 27-Jan-15 22:35:42

I'm not going to come off cold turkey, I felt light-headed coming off 100 mg like that. I'm going to start tapering off when I'm on holiday from work in a couple of weeks, hopefully I'll be able to sleep the worst of it away.

Thanks.

mrsfuzzy Tue 27-Jan-15 23:45:10

well done, you are going to be fine, take care.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: