Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How long did it take for you to feel the benefit of Citlopram?

(7 Posts)
LumpenproletariatAndProud Fri 23-Jan-15 19:25:04

Ive never been a patient person. And I want it to be working now. But its only been 9 days. I thought it was 2 weeks before it started to work but now Im reading it could take a month, or even longer?

Its not for depression per se, I still get out of bed and get everything I need to get done, done. But life has thrown me a lot of curve balls and my best friends terminal illness is the final straw.

I was numb, then I cried and couldnt stop, on the second day I saw the doctor and she have me 20mg of citalopram. Ive had a few side effects, which have been mildly amusing and remind me of my rave days, but they seem to have passed. I was kind of hoping that with the passing of those, came the working of the tablets.

But Im still glum. Still snappy. Still down. Still moody. Still robotic.

I just want to feel happy. Positive and calm.

How long? sad

Loveleopardprint Fri 23-Jan-15 19:30:55

I think it took 4-6 weeks but I was only on 10mg to start and it was for depression. Hope you feel better soon.

LumpenproletariatAndProud Fri 23-Jan-15 19:47:32

Oh gosh thats such a long time.

Mumblepot26 Fri 23-Jan-15 20:53:50

Prozac here, started working 2-3 weeks in and fully working after 2 months. Good luck and so sorry you are going through this

Loveleopardprint Sat 24-Jan-15 08:56:20

Hopefully because you are on double the dose that I had it will work more quickly. Good luck. They helped me through a tough time so stick with it.

chloepetal Tue 27-Jan-15 23:00:10

I'm on 40 mg, it takes about 2 weeks for it to start to kick in. I know it seems like a long time but hopefully you will start to feel better soon. I'm on it with other meds long term as I'm Bipolar. They do help take the edge off.

RandomMess Tue 27-Jan-15 23:02:37

They didn't help me, I tried about 4 meds before I found one that did.

You do need to give it more time though.

Also with lots of emotional stuff going on in your life how you are feeling and reacting is understandable.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: