Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Doxepin - what is it like?

(13 Posts)
Chapuys Thu 22-Jan-15 21:22:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

orangeflutie Thu 22-Jan-15 21:50:16

Hi I'm on dosulepin/doxepin. I first took it four years ago as tried citalopram and mirtazapine and had problems with both.

I'm currently on 75mg after building up slowly. Had hoped to stay on lower dose for anxiety but found 50mg seemed to make my mood lower. 75mg is lowest therapeutic dose for depression.

I don't seem to get many side effects apart from dry mouth and a bit of dizziness. It helps me sleep and that's great because that was a problem and yes it does help with allergies. I'm normally quite sneezy and slightly allergic to my cat and I'm not any moresmile. Think weight gain is only a problem on higher doses. I did go up to 100mg last time but haven't yet had to.

It's one of the older drugs so don't think many docs prescribe it now but my doctor quite likes it.

Hope this helps and it works for you.

Mentalpsychiatrist Thu 22-Jan-15 21:50:41

If you tell me what conflicting advice you're getting I might be able to help.

Mentalpsychiatrist Thu 22-Jan-15 21:55:51

Is it topical formulation you're currently takin because oral doxepin interacts with orally absorbed SSRIs

Chapuys Thu 22-Jan-15 22:13:00

Mentalpsychiatrist Thu 22-Jan-15 22:18:50

I would propose it. Why not? You've got robust scientific efficacy behind you.
At the point I should say I'm only a shrink have little kowledge of conditions like CIU

Chapuys Thu 22-Jan-15 22:29:05

Chapuys Thu 22-Jan-15 22:30:08

Chapuys Thu 22-Jan-15 22:30:58

Mentalpsychiatrist Thu 22-Jan-15 22:34:33

If you feel SSRI is causing urticaria you really have to stop taking. Your options then are usually second line SSRI. If you were play patient I would certainly list to you and would explain why I wouldn't be happy prescribing Doxepin.

Mentalpsychiatrist Thu 22-Jan-15 22:35:44

(Am a real psych but pretend to be just a patient on here)

Mentalpsychiatrist Thu 22-Jan-15 22:37:42

Sorry about the weird construction and random lost words in this posts. I l'vevtaken zolpidem and it's kicking in.

Chapuys Fri 23-Jan-15 13:00:28

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: