Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

If I get pregnant whilst taking anti depressants does my GP have to advise social services?

(14 Posts)
Kavanne Wed 21-Jan-15 23:15:00

Hello all, new here. Ive been taking citalopram for years. Recently I've been trying to reduce my dose with a view to getting off it totally but after going from 40mg slowly down to 10mg it became clear I was not going to be able to come off. I'm now fine on 20mg. I wanted to get off it as my partner and I may try for children in the next year or two and I know there can be some risks in pregnancy associated with SSRIs.

My question is, because I am taking anti depressants will my gp be obliged to inform social services of my pregnancy?

Azquilith Wed 21-Jan-15 23:21:09

I can't see why. I should think social services have enough to do. I had a serious mental health breakdown during my pregnancy, great support from the perinatal team and I never had a sniff from social services.

CalpolOnToast Wed 21-Jan-15 23:22:15

Mine didn't a couple of years ago. I was taking 20mg Citalopram when I accidentally got pregnant, continued through pregnancy with the blessing of GP, obstetrician and paediatrician and was cleared to breast feed (which didn't work out for other reasons). They did have us stay in for two days after birth but that was due to being diagnosed with depression not the treatment for it. This was Lincolnshire.

gamerchick Wed 21-Jan-15 23:24:49

No they don't.

Theas18 Wed 21-Jan-15 23:26:31

No why would they? The baby isn't at risk of harm. Get yourself on a pregnancy friendly antidepressant and think no more if it !

Selks Wed 21-Jan-15 23:28:05

Social worker here - no, they won't. Don't worry smile

milkysmum Wed 21-Jan-15 23:32:51

Mental health nurse here- certainly not!

hellsbells76 Wed 21-Jan-15 23:37:32

Midwife here - also no! It's very common and citalopram is normally safe in pregnancy.

NanaNina Wed 21-Jan-15 23:38:48

I am constantly saddened by how many MNs think social services will be involved if they are suffering from a MH condition. So many posts from mothers afraid to see their GP with a MH issue in case social workers are involved and their children removed, and now the OP thinks the GP might inform them because she is thinking of getting pregnant and is on ADs. I just don't know where people get these ideas from - nothing could be further from the truth.

Retired social worker here and a frustrated one!

Kavanne Thu 22-Jan-15 00:20:52

Thanks for your replies everyone, has put my mind at ease. I was stressing myself out so much thinking I can't have kids if I can't get off anti depressants but if I can relax about it I will probably have a better chance of not needing them!

TwosaCrowd Thu 22-Jan-15 08:32:51

Another one saying no. I have bipolar and got pregnant whilst taking anti psychotics and anti depressants, after being admitted to a psychiatric hospital after my first child and I wasn't referred to social services. In fact this time I became very low and had thoughts of ending my own and my baby's lives, been admitted to psychiatric hospital again and still no referral to ss.

Selks Thu 22-Jan-15 21:32:26

I know people who are social workers, parents AND on anti-depressants, so they would have to report themselves then, wouldn't they? wink

summer111 Thu 22-Jan-15 22:54:30

Another mental health clinician here saying 'absolutely not'!! Speak to your GP about your medication and your hopes of getting pregnant- if the GP would like advice around your meds and becoming pregnant, they can get direct advice from your local mental health access team.
Best of luck!

Iwasinamandbunit Fri 23-Jan-15 21:19:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: