Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Duloxetine/Cymbalta withdrawal

(6 Posts)
skyninja Wed 21-Jan-15 17:25:26

Anyone got any experience of duloxetine/Cymbalta withdrawal? DH has come off it (30mg a day) cold turkey, he was told he didn't need to be taking it anymore as he's now on lithium but he wasn't warned about the side effects.

He's five days in and an absolute nightmare. He feels a furious rage, which started on Saturday, he can't sleep, he's got headaches, brain zaps and generally feels awful.

It seems that duloxetine is famously horrible to withdraw from but does anyone have similar experiences. From looking online, he could be looking at another month before he feels better.

Which does not fill me with joy.

windchimes23 Thu 22-Jan-15 16:35:47

Hi, I haven't direct experience but it sounds the same as Effexor withdrawal, it's an SSNRI? I didn't want to leave you un-answered.

Get some Phenergan, Omeaga 369, vit b,c,d and some decent painkillers. It took me two weeks to get over the worst, four weeks to be fully functional after Effexor.

Lots of water, green tea and hot showers. Exercise daily, even just walking to get the blood flowing and help to speed up detox.

It is horrible but it does get better, it is just the drugs leaving the system and the first week is the pits. Hope he feels better soon.

skyninja Thu 22-Jan-15 22:14:38

OK, and thank you for answering! I'll hit the health food shop tomorrow, I already had the Omegas on my list. Can I get Phenergan at the chemist?

It's an SNRI, same as venlafaxine, which is Effexor.

He's about a week in now and unbearable to be around, he really is vile.

skyninja Thu 22-Jan-15 22:15:16

sorry, that was meant to be a question about Effexor being same as venlafaxine!

windchimes23 Fri 23-Jan-15 08:48:18

Ven and Effexor are the same. Your husband has probably ridden out the very worst now. You can get the phenergan (promethazine) at the chemist, try and get the 25mg tablets, I used to take two an hour before bed and would sleep very soundly. That was a double dose but I needed it.

I did crosswords and puzzles too, as it distracted me. I was raging one minute and then tearful the next and focusing my mind elsewhere helped a lot.

Hope things get better soon.

skyninja Fri 23-Jan-15 19:22:42

Thank you so much. He was actually better today, although has had the return of the rage this afternoon. Still, he had a good six hours of feeling better, ie he actually engaged me in conversation.

He's going to go out tomorrow morning as he hasn't been outside since Tuesday!

I bought the omega 3 6 9 and vitamins today.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: