Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Has anyone undergone psychoanalysis?

(8 Posts)
misspollysdollyridesagain Tue 13-Jan-15 07:57:01

Have been thinking for some time that maybe it might be time to 'dig and delve' a bit and try to understand some of the patterns of behaviour/reaction/feelings I have built up over the years. Just wondering how you go about finding a psychotherapist, how you know they are the right person for you and whether it costs an arm and leg...?? Can such therapy be accessed ever through the NHS or by some subsidised means? Thanks in advance.

HarlotOTara Tue 13-Jan-15 08:06:35

I have, four times a week. It isn't cheap and I would be very surprised if you can access it through the NHS as it isn't a quick fix. You can get cheaper psychoanalysis via places which train psychoanalysts as they need training patients. Trainee analysts are well supervised and probably have previous experience so are a good bet if money is an issue. I will say it was one of the best decisions I have made but probably not for everyone

racingstars Tue 13-Jan-15 10:20:15

I had it three times a week through the NHS, by an experienced (not trainee) psychoanalyst. It was very traditional, lying on a couch, no verbal prompts and no looking at the therapist! It isn't offered to everyone though, and personally I don't feel it was the right match for me as the therapist had a poor understanding of my issues, as I have quite an unusual profile/diagnoses which weren't made at the time. I did do some 'digging and delving' but there were a lot of assumptions made about my behaviours so they weren't as insightful as they could have been.

mypip Tue 13-Jan-15 17:01:22

i found a psychoanalyst via the BPS website (a directory of local private psychologists). i paid £40 per 3 weekly appointment. its not my cup of tea really. also a psychologist at my local IAPT clinic saw me for about 15 (?) appointments, which was free and more reasonable i think. good luck.

Bonsoir Tue 13-Jan-15 17:03:04

If you want to examine yourself, find a Psychologist and stay well away from a psychoanalyst!

misspollysdollyridesagain Wed 14-Jan-15 01:51:14

Bonsoir...for why..? Explain your statement, please

Lottapianos Wed 14-Jan-15 02:05:36

Hi OP, I see a psychotherapist once a week and have done for the past 5 years. I would recommend it very highly. Each session costs me £40 (50 mins). Having professional support to come to terms with my issues (emotional abuse in childhood, narc parents and a bunch of other stuff) has been invaluable and I don't know how I would have coped without it.

I found my therapist by doing a Google search for psychotherapists in my local area and made an appointment. I got lucky - she was the first therapist I saw but some people have to try a few before they find someone who they feel comfortable with.

BushkillBaby Wed 14-Jan-15 02:06:52

Odd statement, Bonsoir.
You can get it on the NHS, but you really have to convince them you fit their narrow definition of who it is right for. Expect to be made to try short-term quick fixes like CBT first, even if you know it won't be right for you, and then even when you get onto the waiting list for psychotherapy is is long. Think years, not months. So once all this has been gone through, you are looking at a wait of about 2-3 years from now. sad That is the current state of NHS mental health services - they only really deal with crisis situations.
I would advise you to go private. As pps said, there are some organisations that offer reduced prices for people on modest incomes. Be upfront and honest about what you can afford (I know it's a touchy subject) - and make sure the therapist is too. I had one who constantly made me feel guilty for being a 'low fee' client. YOU are paying them. Make sure you like them - never be afraid to say this isn't working and find someone else.
You could try BACP site www.itsgoodtotalk.org.uk/therapists, loads more if you Google. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: