Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

NHS short therapies

(11 Posts)
Malef1cent Wed 07-Jan-15 18:02:56

I have had half of my sessions and it feels that we have just started. Therapist said that soon we will start to talk about ending the therapy. The therapy is 16 sessions in total. It's CAT therapy.
It feels like I have to find a private therapist..

CaulkheadUpNorth Wed 07-Jan-15 18:08:07

Were you expecting to be further on than you are when you began the therapy?

Private therapy is much much more preferable. It's a huge outlay for me, but it's made a huge difference.

Malef1cent Wed 07-Jan-15 18:20:18

I thought I would have felt better. It just feels that new things come up. The therapist isn't really what I would choose if I could. I have learnt how to regulate feelings in theory but it doesn't really work on practise very well.

CaulkheadUpNorth Wed 07-Jan-15 18:22:15

I've only had a brief run of cbt (I think it was 20 weeks) but I know it doesn't work for everyone, or at that time. My therapist was on Counselling Directory and I found her there. That's quite good if you're looking for something private.

ovumahead Wed 07-Jan-15 18:25:42

If you're doing CAT then by about half way you will just have done the reformulation, so it may feel like new things are coming up. I would talk to your therapist about how you're feeling.. Often people are led to believe that therapy will make everything better, but it definitely doesn't! It's a learning process, it takes a long time. Some CAT therapists are able to extend to 24 sessions if needed, so check this out too. Amazing that you're offered CAT on the NHS, it's a great therapy and not offered in many places.

Tutt Wed 07-Jan-15 18:26:46

Private therapy is much much more preferable, I don't agree with this TBH.
Everyone is different, as is every therapist. It's not a 'one fit all'.

OP talk to your therapist and say what you have said here, he/she may be able to signpost you in the right direction or move in the way you want.

It is very, very normal and imperative to talk about the end from day one of therapy so don't worry about that, that is an important part of the process.

If this therapy doesn't suit you go back to the GP and talk about alternatives.

CaulkheadUpNorth Wed 07-Jan-15 18:27:06

Sorry I had read it as cbt not cat.

Malef1cent Wed 07-Jan-15 18:39:51

I am curious to know how such a short therapy can help. The waiting list is around one year here. I don't know if it is possible to get more sessions here. At least I haven't seen it written anywhere or my therapeut hadn't mentioned it.

SilverStars Wed 07-Jan-15 18:49:27

The usual NHS offering is 6-8 cbt, which is even shorter - sadly long term therapy is either private, or for people who NHS diagnose with more serious conditions usually, sometimes group therapy like dbt then. Or with long waits, often around a year in my trust. The advantage of NHS changes is so many more people can access free NHS counselling but sadly that means sessions are much more limited. I ended up private as well - meant I really used my sessions as was aware of cost. Stopped me being dependent as well as would have been tempting for me personally to continue sessions much longer and be too dependent - one of my issues incidentally!

Malef1cent Wed 07-Jan-15 18:55:09

My partner had five sessions of councelling and benefitted of it. He did not have any mental health diagnosis, just a reaction to the stress. I have bp diagnosis but the therapy is for childhood trauma.

I will look into private therapy. Just wondering what type to look for. CAT doesn't really impress me. It feels somehow childish with all the forms and pictures.

Tutt Wed 07-Jan-15 20:03:04

I initially only offer 6 sessions but that can be extended.
Don't under estimate short sessions they can work for many people but also may not work for many.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now