Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Which medication for anxiety and depression DOESN'T make you gain weight?

(10 Posts)
sadandbad Sun 04-Jan-15 11:47:52

I really need to get something as my anxiety is through the roof, I have no motivation and I just feel so terrible but in the past I have always had bad side effects with anti-depressants, one of the worst being weight gain.

Can I ask for recommendations of anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medications that in your experience have not made you gain weight? What is the consensus? Open to any suggestions (and I do not want counselling or therapy, tried so many different types and all have been useless and cost me so much money).

Kittykat7 Sun 04-Jan-15 13:24:49

I have been on sertraline for 20 years & it hasn't caused me any weight gain.

Dwerf Sun 04-Jan-15 13:25:47

I lost weight on both prozac and sertraline, but the latter has been far more effective for my health problems.

CaulkheadUpNorth Sun 04-Jan-15 15:50:20

I'm on citalopram, quetiapine, lorazepam, promazine and lithium and none have led me to gain wait.
Feeling happier and eating more has though

Rinkydinkypink Sun 04-Jan-15 15:51:53

They've all made me gain weight but then i emotionally eat so I think it's the depression that's caused the weight gain not the meds.

ProcrastIWillFinishThisLater Sun 04-Jan-15 15:59:27

Sertraline. Totally lost my appetite on it at first. Back to normal now, not gained any weight. I hope you feel better soon.

NiceAcorns Sun 04-Jan-15 16:01:36

I've been on citralopram for a few weeks & it's totally killed my appetite - I've lost a kilo

littleone88 Sun 04-Jan-15 18:19:48

I am on citalopram 40mg amitriptline 75mg and pregabilin and have had no weight on all been on them cital and amitrip over 8 years had no issues only started on pregabilin for a month and no side effects but have tolk that med you can gain weight but I have been fine so far

orangeflutie Sun 04-Jan-15 18:29:22

I've just started back on dosulepin and at the moment it isn't causing weight gain but this time I am doing more exercise. I do find it causes water retention though and this gets worse on higher doses.

edscoffee Sun 04-Jan-15 20:16:15

I've been on escitalopram for 2 years and have lost weight (dropped 2 dress sizes). On Prozac I lost and gained weight in cycles, but I was on it for six years and did various sports/diets over that time. Sertraline didn't cause any weight gain/loss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now