Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How do I know when I'm getting better?

(8 Posts)
guggenheim Sat 03-Jan-15 09:01:53

I had the year from hell last year and finally admitted to having depression,I am now on 20 mg of citalopram. I've been taking the ad's for several months and it has been really effective. : )

I have no intention of coming off them for several more months /years. I'm not even all that interested in lowering the dose because I cannot go back to where I was before them.

But I really am beginning to feel better and beginning,very carefully,to re build my life. Might go wild and contact some friends for coffee.
Am I getting better?
Will it continue?
What kinds of things can I do to help?

I'm sort of able to stop the negative thoughts now but don't feel confident that i would manage to do so if i came off the ad's.

Any good ideas anyone? Or can anyone shed light on this stage I'm at - am I well?

Ihavenobrain Sat 03-Jan-15 16:24:08

I'm better. I take ad's and have done for 4 years.
I would never b ok without them.
Iv tried to stop several times and those horrid negative feelings come creeping back so yes I'm better but only with the ad's.
I don't think I would ever be ok without hmm

littleone88 Sat 03-Jan-15 18:40:58

Hi I have been on cit for over 8 years, but had a serious break down beginning of dec, went to GP incresed my dose up to 60mg, for two weeks then was told to go back to 40mg I wasnt happy as I suffered two weeks of awful sickness due to the increase, was then started on a new med called pregabilin as well as cit also they increased my amitripyline from 20 mg to 75 mg this was to aid my sleep, and the combination I am on has worked wonders for me I am starting to feel like me, I dont think I will ever come off these meds as they make me stable, do you suffer with anxiety guggenheim

Snog Sat 03-Jan-15 18:45:19

Have you had cbt to control negative thought patterns?

guggenheim Sat 03-Jan-15 19:00:08

Thanks for replies. I think I will be on ad's for the long term,perhaps at a lower dose. It's hard to explain what went wrong because it sin't exactly anxiety,I'd just utterly had as much as I could take of shit events in my life.I'm coping much better now though this pm has been tough

No I haven't had cbt,I'm not in a position to be able to afford it right now but once things improve then it would be good to try.

littleone88 Sat 03-Jan-15 19:23:19

go to your Gp about CBT i see a counsellor at my gp's and they have agreed it might be good for me too, its all done on the NHS good luck hope things work out for you

Ihavenobrain Sat 03-Jan-15 20:15:44

Iv not had cbt. I should do really but I find it easier to bury my head in the sand and plod along.

Ihavenobrain Sat 03-Jan-15 20:16:35

Sorry Guggenheim hope things improve. All the best wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now