Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Please help me not to sink again

(7 Posts)
Ikeatears Fri 02-Jan-15 12:15:47

I can feel it, I can feel myself getting lower and I can feel myself wanting to do less and less.
I have had a few episodes like this and they do seem to start around this time of year.
I've been ill over new year (cough, chesty etc) and still don't feel 100%. Dh has been very attentive but I think it's because he's scared that it's more than the physical symptoms that keep me returning to my bed.
I have been off work for Christmas for 2 weeks and I think the thought of returning is making me feel worse. I started in September and I don't like the job - it's a lot of stress for not much money but gives me time off in school holidays. I really don't want to go back but financially I have to.
I'm scared that if I let myself sink I won't be able to go back and then when I really have to go back, I'll dread it even more.
I want to curl up in a ball and ignore everything.
I'm pretty sure I'm sinking because I always want dh around me when I feel like this and I really didn't want him to go to work today (I didn't tell him so I'm not as bad as I have been in the past)
Any advice to stop this before it takes over sad

nearlyemptynester Fri 02-Jan-15 12:29:39

Hello, no definite advice I'm afraid, but I can empathise and understand everything you have said, I have already begun to "think" about I might feel in January or February-which are /always have been my worst months of the year.

Beginning to sink is a scary feeling,I know it well sad

Stay strong.

Ikeatears Fri 02-Jan-15 12:39:14

Thanks for the reply.

nearlyemptynester Fri 02-Jan-15 12:47:18

Try to get back to work, it does help me- gets me doing something else and out of the house , is there anyone at work you could talk to ?

Ikeatears Fri 02-Jan-15 12:49:28

No, no-one at work, it's a fairly new job but I really don't like it. I made a big mistake in taking it. I'm dreading Monday

IrianofWay Fri 02-Jan-15 12:58:58

Hi ikea. I am in the same boat. Difference is maybe that I have been here before so I feel less overwhelmed by it. I have just started taking citalopram again - I know the signs by now, and I accept I need help. It sounds as if the stress of the new job combined with SAD are the problem for you. SAD is a big issue for you but it doesn't hit until christmas is over - I find the busyness of preparing for christmas keeps me going and then....I just drop of a cliff. I haven't had 2 weeks off but even so I am dreading work on Monday. The idea of having to sit there for a whole week and all the logistical stuff of work/school is filling me with lethargy.

Have you seen your GP?

Can you try to get outside more? I find my load lifts just being outside, for a walk or a run. It's my biggest weapon against the black dog.

Ikeatears Fri 02-Jan-15 13:20:29

I don't feel like going out because I physically don't feel well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: